Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

“It’s a scientific fact that if you stay in California you lose one point of your IQ every year.”

edited September 2021 in Off-Topic
It's a funny line from Capote in the latest issue of MFO, but I don't see how it relates to a story about inflation/valuations that makes no mention of the state. It also seems a little meanspirited when California is being wracked by wildfires. Moreover, California is the state that produces the greatest GDP in the nation and is home to some of the world's most powerful tech companies and some of its brightest scientists and engineers. Where would America or for that matter the U.S. stock market be without it? Finally, despite frequent potshots heard against California lately, it is fairing better with regard to Covid than many other states. I am rooting for it to be OK.

Comments

• I've lived in CA most of my life and afraid that I must report that my IQ is now in the negative numbers. Nice to know that it isn't all my fault.
  • I've lived in Florida for five years and I'm losing an IQ point every month,surrounded by oblivious narcissistic jerks on all sides ! But I moved for the weather, because I hate snow and 95 degrees beats 15 degrees any day of the week !
  • edited September 2021
    Our 50th State comes with an everyday breeze, every day--- which doesn't REALLY neutralize the humidity, but it makes venturing outdoors a helluva lot more palatable. And we're never very far from the beach, anyhow. I remember summers in Florida, at 8:00 a.m. walking out the door, and instantly feeling like Nature stuffed me into an overcoat, while it's already 84 degrees and 86% humidity. Ya. And snow DOES suck all. YA.
  • edited September 2021
    I’m not sure I’d trust Capote on anything. May have been bright, but also one weird dude. His 1967 In Cold Blood was the hottest thing in print the year I graduated from college and began a career (around 1970).

Check with the others from MI, but I think I can say definitively that we do not lead the nation in average IQ.

@Old_Joe - Your usual sense of humor suggests a very high IQ. See linked article.
    https://theconversation.com/funny-people-are-more-intelligent-than-their-po-faced-peers-84709
  • Re: sense of humor: truth!
  • True, but I tend to favor the humor that, like good journalism, comforts the afflicted and afflicts the comfortable, the kind that speaks truth to power, not kicks people who are already down. Making fun of a king or dictator appeals to me more than ridiculing a pauper.
  • +1. And that is as good a definition of biblical prophecy as any. It's not fortune-telling or predicting the future.
  • edited September 2021
    That’s one of my favorite lines, spoken by one of my favorite performers, Gene Kelly, in the 1960 film “Inherit the Wind.” Actually, that film (and the play by Laurence & Lee) is loaded with great poignant one-liners. And who better to deliver one than Kelly?