Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited August 2021
    It’s a nasty place to get involved.

The (1980s) War in Afghanistan and its Effects on the Soviet Economy

“The historical significance of this event is mainly embodied in the collapse of the Soviet Union … The war put immense stresses on the faulty, centralized economic system of the nation, and along with the radical social reforms set by Mikhail Gorbachev, led to the collapse of the nation.”

And from Wikipedia

“The Soviets initially planned to secure towns and roads, stabilize the government under new leader Karmal, and withdraw within six months or a year. But they were met with fierce resistance from the guerillas and had difficulties on the harsh cold Afghan terrain, resulting in them being stuck in a bloody war that lasted nine years.”
  • And we are slow learners. Very slow.
  • Old_Joe said:

And we are slow learners. Very slow.

The fact that none of the news outlets (CNN etc) I follow that are hyperventilating over the current travails have brought up the prior Soviet involvement baffles me. I think it adds an element of perspective that’s otherwise missing.

• edited August 2021
    That's old news ! When O b L was taken out it was time to pack our bags & leave ! Another lesson learned , Vietnam ! NOT !!
    FWIW, Derf
  • How many successful "Nation building" accomplishments in disparate cultures does the US have under its belt?
  • Might even be in the negative numbers.
  • "When O b L was taken out it was time to pack our bags & leave"

@Derf- Absolutely correct.
  • Well yeah but how would have the military industrial complex made gobs of money then?
  • I'm not an accredited scholar of global history, but I've logged many hours in my lifetime studying via books and film; and consider the U.S. influence in rebuilding of Europe and Japan to be very positive (See below links). We must keep in mind what drove interventions in other countries, post WW2; being mostly the threat of communism. Other factors has driven more recent interventions. I recall reading about Asia scholars (U.S.) who were not properly consulted, removed from influence by others or scoffed prior to our move into Vietnam; after the French had there arses kicked and that colonial power was forced to leave.
    (The Battle of Dien Bien Phu was a climactic confrontation of the First Indochina War that took place between 13 March and 7 May 1954. It was fought between the French Union's colonial Far East Expeditionary Corps and Viet Minh communist revolutionaries.)

My own (relatively modern time frame) personal encounter with the "crazy things" of the world was in 1973 while living in Morocco for 4 months. By chance encounter, I met and chatted with a Portuguese Marine over a two day period. He served as a Marine in Mozambique. He had deserted his position (because of atrocities inflicted upon the citizens) in the Marines and was fully frightened as to whether he was going to be able to return to his home to Portugal and not be discovered by the authorities, were his fate could be serious.
    ( The Mozambican War of Independence was an armed conflict between the guerrilla forces of the Mozambique Liberation Front or FRELIMO, and Portugal. The war officially started on September 25, 1964, and ended with a ceasefire on September 8, 1974, resulting in a negotiated independence in 1975.)

In a brief period of global history, say the past 200 years, were events have been recorded in one form or another; one may consider, that if not for the war lords, the religious zealots, the political philosophy zealots, the international colonial lords, the kings, queens, premiers and presidents; that the world could be a fairly decent place to co-exist.
    Whomever gets the "ear" of a leader who has the ability to build and use their powers; indeed may shape history. My best guess is that no more than 10 people twisting what a leader is fed for information, is enough to establish his or her posturing and/or positioning of what actions to take against whoever or whatever. 'Course, the ill informed and those who lack much knowledge about things globally from history are the ones who cause the most grief for all societies.

Marshall Plan, Europe

Japan, post WW2

My fully brief overview,
    Catch
  • Hopefully the Portuguese Marine was able to return home circa 1974-1975 after the Caetano administration was deposed !