Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• I bet yer wondering why I chose to live across the river in Iowa, all those many years ago.
  • Accuse, hell. They copped a guilty plea!
  • Love your humor and insight David
  • edited March 2013
    Reply to @Old_Joe: That's only because they couldn't get enough govt officials out of jail to mount a defense.
  • edited March 2013
    ZH accused them of a number of things in 2010.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-03-11/last-laugh-illinois-pension-system-charged-not-disclosing-structural-underfunding

They got a response back then saying they were wrong and everything is fine.

Another good article from 2011.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20111217/ISSUE01/312179972/pension-peril-illinois-trs-goes-higher-risk-with-investments

A favorite quote: "TRS' fixed-income investments also are riskier than they seem. The portfolio includes the sale of hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of credit default swaps obligating TRS to guarantee payment on debt issued by governments including hot spots Italy and Spain. Such investments, which TRS says equal less than 1% of its portfolio, were reported last year by Northwestern University's Medill Reports."
  • All y'all can laugh at Illinois but that's just the tip of the iceberg. The real problem with underfunded pensions is with the cities and counties around the country. Most states don't have this much of a problem with their state pension systems because 'most' states didn't over promise and underdeliver.

In Michigan, we switched to a DC pension back almost 20 years ago at the state level. Our DC pension contributes 4% plus will match 3% so that 3 buys you 10. Lot's of investment options and they just increaded the premium on health insurance to 20%. Our DB pension was set up as age + avg annual salary * 1.5 (i.e. I was making about $65K when I retired at 30 years and wound up with a pension of ~$35K/year.

However, at the county and local level, you have DB pensions with multipliers of 2 or 2.5 or even 3.0. Also, a great trick is to not take a 3 year avg salary but only the last year. Oh, yeah. That allows you to juice that last year with OT and vacation and sick leave, so that even though your greatest salary was $65K, your last year for pension calculations is $100K or more. This can equate to an annual pension of around $100K or even more. Now that is a recipe for disaster and that's the disaster you're starting to see manifest itself.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono