Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Willie shows his colors …

edited June 2021 in Off-Topic
Willie Nelson shares a new version of I’ll Be Seeing You in the crusade to get Americans vaccinated.

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/willie-nelson-ill-be-seeing-you-vaccines/

(There’s a link further down the page. A beautiful rendition of an old classic.)

Comments

• For the life of me I just do not understand peoples reluctance, resistance or outright refusal to get the Covid vaccine. What do they think they're proving? The mind reels.
  • A significant portion of the Refusers voted for Twump, so you can draw your inferences from that !
  • I don’t get it either for not protected everyone around you. Now is the time to get vaccinated when the weather allows for more outdoor activities. Then come the dark winter months that favors COVID infection. So the cycle of suffering starts all over again.

Seeing the situation in India and Brazil is truly tragic and mostly preventable.

• edited June 2021
    America has lost the sense of community it had during and shortly after the two world wars and returned to its self-interested "rugged individualist" state. During those wars and shortly-after, two important things happened--tax rates went up significantly on the wealthy to pay for the war effort and numerous New Deal social programs and America became the global superpower it is today from that community effort--the envy of the world.

Now we are back to "every man for himself," by design. A deep distrust of government has been fostered by decades of rightwing media since Reagan uttered those infamous words: "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help." The goal is of course to cut taxes and dismantle the government.

And so here we are. Some people, more often men who mistakenly think they're invincible, "reason" or rather feel in their gut shortly after turning Tucker off: "I'm well enough so I can handle the virus. It's really just the flu and the lying lib media is blowing it out of proportion. Moreover, I don't care if I get someone else sick because I'm on my own, everyone else doesn't matter, and I fundamentally distrust the government."
  • edited June 2021
    Nicely stated @LewisBraham (and depressing as hell)

Lots of reasons people won’t get vaccinated. I’m thinking those of child bearing age at least have a bit more to think about than those of us in our 70s. However, none of the evidence I’ve seen says that’s a cause for concern. So it’s incumbent upon everyone (probably more so on the young) to do their research / due diligence first (and than get vaccinated). But when a sizable proportion of the populace put more credence in what’s posted on Facebook rather than what’s published the NYT, is it any wonder so many remain in the dark?

Kind of harkens back to @MJG’s post on critical thinking (or the dearth thereof), although I thought it ludicrous that anyone beyond HS should have to read a book on the subject. OMG isn’t that a primary goal of education at any level?
  • "OMG isn’t that a primary goal of education at any level? "

Not sure that the testing methodology currently foisted on the American school system gives a lot of weight to "critical thinking". Hard to imagine much interest in teaching that when the primary goal is "teaching to the test".
  • Resistance to vax = a symptom of delusion and insanity. And LB describes the current state of affairs quite well. ... The schools are a hot mess. Teachers are not allowed to fail the students who are actually flunking. Cripes.
  • edited June 2021
    Old_Joe said:

Not sure that the testing methodology currently foisted on the American school system gives a lot of weight to "critical thinking". Hard to imagine much interest in teaching that when the primary goal is "teaching to the test".

Well … 20+ years removed (though seems like yesterday). Yes - the tests were an impediment. But I don’t know how one discusses, dissects or writes about Thoreau, Emerson, Shakespeare or Twain without invoking higher level (critical) thinking. ISTM it’s all intrinsically tied together. That’s an over-simplification. But after four years, a high school graduate should have practiced / demonstrated CT hundreds of times over across multiple disciplines.

So why the dearth of critical thinking? Don’t get me started …! But I attribute a lot of it to inequality of educational opportunity in the country, lax standards (as @Crash suggests) and a certain corruption of society’s standards brought on in large measure by prevalence of the electronic media of all types coupled with apathy and indifference by a large segment of society.

Not easy to remedy.