Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Lexile Reading Range / Scores

edited April 2021 in Off-Topic
I thought the discussion of the WSJ elsewhere in OT might be enhanced if one could compare reading levels needed to comprehend various publications. A web search turned up the Lexile analyzer. Of course it must be used with caution for reasons too numerous to list. Still, some might find it of interest for comparing relative difficulty / estimated reading levels of different publications.

My first test was the passage linked elsewhere from the WSJ regarding money flows into inflation-protected bonds / bond funds. It came back at a level of 1410-1600. I’m unable to provide a link, but my reading suggests that 1300 - 1500 represents the approximate level of a well prepared college junior or senior. Another source put a high school graduate’s expected level in the 1,000-1200 range.

I’ll run a couple more tests and add the results here.

The second test used the passage from the NYT (linked thru a secondary source) about the WSJ. It too came back at the 1410-1600 reading level - identical to what the WSJ scored.

My third test used a passage from The Motly Fool appearing on the discussion board recently. It came back with a 1,000-1200 Lexile reading level, commensurate with a high school graduate’s expected reading level, but lower than what the WSJ and NYT scored.

Tests four and five used text from USA Today and CNBC. Both scored 1410-1600 on the Lexile analyzer. That surprised me, as I consider the NYT and WSJ to read at a noticeably higher level.

Here’s a link to the text analyzer: https://hub.lexile.com/analyzer

Comments

• Fun to test a few paragraphs from text here on MFO.
  • edited April 2021
    Old_Joe said:

Fun to test a few paragraphs from text here on MFO.

Well, this OT section could use some humor. Go for it …:)

• I can easily get into a lot of trouble on my own without you trying to help... :)
  • Hee hee hee hee.