Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

WSJ: Is Anything Cheap?

Comments

• Financial Stocks or could just buy VFH
  • I bought Hennessey smallcap financial 1 or 1 1/2 year back with the same thought and made 25% since then. Largecap financial may be a good bet compared to smallcap but this manager is a reputed and holds good %age of cash for downside protection when things are heating up.
  • edited March 2013
    Cash is cheap. People are fleeing it in hordes. (Not sure I understand my own comment ... Think it means you can get more "bang for the buck" when buying cash because the things you would use to buy it - by converting into cash - have all gone up so much. Hope this makes sense to somebody.)
  • edited March 2013
    Hi hank,

In short words ... Its is called inflation creap. Genuine silver dollars I collected back in the 60's are now worth in the $30.00 plus range just on their silver content alone. That's silver dollars not paper dollars.

Good Investing,
    Skeeter

• I also bought commdity funds (PCRIX and PSPFX) in Jan/Feb, thinking that is area people are running away and also becuase I do not have a direct exposure to commodities in my portfolio. Just bought initial minimum in both funds with the plan that I can accumulate more as it goes down. I am down by 7% in PCRIX and 3-4% in PSPFX.

M* had a column recently on 'where else value is left or something of that sort' after this run, and mentioned about materials and one more area (searched but couldn't relocate the article to link here), which is cheap based on their fair value estimates. Of course, this does not mean that commodities and materials sector would start outperforming anytime soon.
  • Last year I picked up Vanguard Europe ETF, VGK the peak of Eurozone crisis. The scare time proved to be the best entry point. Now it is up over 30%. Valuation is still reasonably attractive. As for emerging market, I let skillful managers to make the right calls such as Wasatch Emerging Small Cap, WAEMX.
  • edited March 2013
    Wow! Lost a big post just before finishing, just because my finger pressed a wrong key accidentally.
    Isn't there a solution for this?

Don't have the energy to write the whole thing again, that too using iPAD.
    Will do that tomorrow.
  • Reply to @mrc70: That's happened to me before on a couple of occasions but I don't think I pressed any wrong keys. David is just censoring.
  • edited March 2013
    Reply to @mrc70: Happened to me other morning because we were traveling & the hotel's wi-fi system decided it was time to make us log in again as users. Dropped everything. Later in the day I was glad - as don't think what I wrote was that meaningful or succinct. To your question: The "save draft" option at top should prevent this, providing you save as you write. ... Another thing I'd recommend for longer posts is use your computer's "Copy & Paste" function to (1) "copy" the item you're writing every few minutes. Than if you loose all, (2) simply start again, but tell your computer to "paste" whatever you copied earlier. Should work. And, sorry for the problems you encountered.
  • I have lost big posts. I use an iPad--don't know if that makes a difference.
  • Reply to @Hogan: You can select all your text and copy to clipboard on iPad, iPhone etc. before posting. So, if there was a problem you still have your text to paste.