Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Sorry to hear the sad state of what the Canadians have to endure.

Vancouver, BC is one of our favorite travel destination. Taking the ferry to Vancouver Island is a real treat. Great food with beautiful landscape...and I am dreaming of the pre-pandemic time. Not sure if the boarder is open for Americans yet.

COVID cases are not in control today due to the indoor activities and cold climate. Also the slow procurement of COVID vaccines. Biden has promised to load excess vaccines to Canada while many Americans are reluctant to take the vaccine allocated to their states. The southeastern states are lagging the rest of the states.
  • There need to be consequences for not taking the vaccine.
  • You mean like getting Covid-19?
  • edited April 2021
    I might be wrong, but it seems like when I was a kid (50s) you could drive into Canada at the 3 different Michigan border crossings without any check at all. Than they started doing minimal checks sometime after that (60s) - but without any hassle. After 9-11 it got a lot harder. You needed a special (“enhanced”) DL or a passport. Now, due to Covid, leisure travel is prohibited completely. Air Canada is sitting on $350 USD I paid prior to the border closing for some travel to / from Canada. At last check they said they’d honor the voucher until next April. Sure wish things would get back to normal. :(
  • edited April 2021
    @Crash and @Old_Joe

Covid infection, YES !!! After 15 months, I have no kind words or pity for the non-believers. There remains only one reminder to their family and friends about this.......death.

EBELS brothers pass within one month of one another.

The brothers, age 57 and 53 both leave families, including grandchildren. Their "general store" is one of "those places" that are in all states. Their upper Michigan store grew to a destination point for quality meats, tractors, trailers and a whatever else store. A one stop when near the area; Falmouth, Michigan.
    One week after the first death, I read a Facebook post by a fella from metro Detroit who has a cottage somewhere in the area. The store was always a "stop" location for whatever he and his wife wanted to take to the cottage. He wrote that they stopped to shop and no one in the store wore a mask, which caused him pause as to any other precautions. He further stated they immediately left the store and will never return. Note: this area is highly Republican in thinking.

Lastly, relative to and for those who do not want a vaccination; I offer this recall of a scene from "Goldfinger".

My paraphrase = do I expect you to vaccinate, no; I expect you to die.

These folks threaten me and mine for good health going forward.
  • edited April 2021
    Imagine if the previous leadership in Washington had taken the initiative ... devoted its time in office to educating the populace about the seriousness of the disease, promoted mask wearing, hand sanitizing, testing and ... yes - vaccination.

Sad truth is we’re living in a world consisting of of two different realities.

@Sven made some good points over on the regular board about the importance of education in all of this. Yes - I pointed-headidly support education.
  • To my way of thinking. You can take them to the Dr. office , but you can't make them vaccinate !
    Stay safe, Derf
  • Team Red thinks alternative facts are the real facts !