Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

10-Year Closing in on 1.5% (OP) - Blows Right Past - Near 5% (30 months later) - Whee!

13»

Comments

• edited October 2023
    “@carew388 also had it right back in March

Thanks @MikeM

Was just responding to the last poster on the thread who happened to be Sven. Probably several got it right. I didn’t. Never saw 10-year rates reaching near 5% in less than 3 years.

To @Seven’s above point … The Fed was keeping rates artificially low by its massive bond buying - a form of manipulation to use @Sven’s words. And, @Sven saw inflation back than. I’m not sure the Fed had figured that part out yet.
  • edited October 2023
    @MikeM I just had to check it out, 3.78 ytd. RPHYX I'll let someone else figure out CD & treasuries.
    Forgot to mention, now THREE STAR !!!
  • edited October 2023
    YTD
    RPHIX +3.53% (ST-HY) 10/2/23 (edit/add: also, 10/3/23)
    USFR +3.93% (Ultra-ST)
    ICSH +3.90% (Ultra-ST)
    IEF -4.19% (T-Notes 7-10 yrs)
  • As of Dec 31, the best rate on a CD in the 10-12 month timeframe may have been 4.90% APY for a 10 month term.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20221222065208/https://www.depositaccounts.com/cd/1-year-cd-rates.html

That comes out to about 3.653% yield (not annualized) through Sept 30th. On the plus side, FDIC coverage. On the minus side, early withdrawal penalty and all or nothing withdrawal (i.e. very limited liquidity).

Fidelity was only offering 4.55%-4.60% APY (vs. 4.90%) on CDs between 9 and 12 months.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20221231183954/https://fixedincome.fidelity.com/ftgw/fi/FILanding

My momma told me ...

... you'd better shop around.
  • edited October 2023
    “As of Dec 31, the best rate on a CD in the 10-12 month timeframe may have been 4.90% APY for a 10 month term.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20221222065208/https://www.depositaccounts.com/cd/1-year-cd-rates.html
    That comes out to about 3.653% yield (not annualized) through Sept 30th. On the plus side, FDIC coverage. On the minus side, early withdrawal penalty and all or nothing withdrawal (i.e. very limited liquidity). “

Thanks for the number crunching @msf. Always interesting to compare one’s diversified investment portfolio’s performance with a straight-up cash approach. (As you point out, the risks are not commensurate.) Cash will always beat out (well … almost always) a broadly diversified approach during a down equity market. Even with a 0% yield, cash would have handily beaten most diversified portfolios last year.
  • edited October 2023
    The longer end of yield curve is moving up since September. Today, the 10 year treasury yield rises to 4.81% from 3.79% as of 1/3/2023. Bonds got crush...

Bought 6 months and 12 months treasuries this week as other T bills matured. Will watch on the sideline on stocks.
  • edited October 2023
    My TUHYX (junk) has fallen from +9% YTD to +6.64% YTD. I don't think the carnage is done, either.

(Which of mine fell the LEAST today? TS Tenaris: +0.26%. Oil Country Tubular Goods.)
  • @ Crash,
    as of September 9th, @junkster said ,

I trade only bond funds because of their persistency of trend combined with their lack of volatility. There are exceptions, but since 2000 there has always been a bond category that has beaten the S@P annually. Of course those exceptions are pretty glaring ala 2013, 2017, 2019, 2021, and so far this year. So with an extra $100,000 would just add it to the bond category that is far ahead of the bond pack this year. That would be bank loans/floating rate which I have mentioned previously, Some are already ahead double digits YTD. Aside of March they have been as steady a trender as you could want. They are massively overbought, ripe for a correction, and with fears of rising defaults. But, ( and I have to continually remind myself of this) overbought in Bondland can stay overbought for long periods of time. Then again, this wouldn’t be an investment just a trade. Investment is a foreign term to me. I think the only time I was ever in a position since the 1990s for more than four to six months was in IOFIX in 2020/2021.
    https://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/61478/how-would-you-invest-100-000-right-now/p2

Also he mentioned few weeks later that he sold 1/3 of bank loan/ floating rate bond.

The quick rise rise of 10 year treasury yield has impact all bonds. I notice the short term junk bonds have peaked and falling too this week. YTD they were the few pockets of bonds that were up high single digit return. High yield corporate bonds such as TUHYX did well YTD and they also started falling last week. Is this déjà vu again of the brutal 2022 among bonds?

So what are your plan?
  • @hank- Maybe change the title head from 1.5% to ~ 5% ?
  • Forgot to mention, now THREE STAR !!!
    @Derf, 3 stars is a comparison to the rest of the high yield category, which has had a great year but is as risky a bond category as there is. The low volatility RPHYX is definitely mis-categorized, but M* has to put it somewhere.

RPHYX has a total return of 5.3% in the past year. My memory isn't great, but I don't think anyone was buying 1 year CD's at 5.3% last October.
  • @MikeM : Main point , after many years in the wrong category it went from 1* to 3* !
    I'm not complaining as I do own a small slice of RPHYX.

I see Buffalo kicked the snot out of Miami ! Maybe , just maybe it's their year to take the Lombardi trophy home ?!

A star is just a star, Derf
  • edited October 2023
    Sven said:

@ Crash,

as of September 9th, @junkster said ,

I trade only bond funds because of their persistency of trend combined with their lack of volatility. There are exceptions, but since 2000 there has always been a bond category that has beaten the S@P annually. Of course those exceptions are pretty glaring ala 2013, 2017, 2019, 2021, and so far this year. So with an extra $100,000 would just add it to the bond category that is far ahead of the bond pack this year. That would be bank loans/floating rate which I have mentioned previously, Some are already ahead double digits YTD. Aside of March they have been as steady a trender as you could want. They are massively overbought, ripe for a correction, and with fears of rising defaults. But, ( and I have to continually remind myself of this) overbought in Bondland can stay overbought for long periods of time. Then again, this wouldn’t be an investment just a trade. Investment is a foreign term to me. I think the only time I was ever in a position since the 1990s for more than four to six months was in IOFIX in 2020/2021.
    https://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/61478/how-would-you-invest-100-000-right-now/p2

——Also he mentioned few weeks later that he sold 1/3 of bank loan/ floating rate bond.———-

The quick rise rise of 10 year treasury yield has impact all bonds. I notice the short term junk bonds have peaked and falling too this week. YTD they were the few pockets of bonds that were up high single digit return. High yield corporate bonds such as TUHYX did well YTD and they also started falling last week. Is this déjà vu again of the brutal 2022 among bonds?

So what are your plan?

>>>>>September 21 edited September 21 Flag
    Selling 1/3 of my bank loan OEF position on the close. Ugly day for credit including for a change the floating rate ETFs. If I am wrong will buy back. If this is the beginning of a correction will sell more. Unlike in the past cash is no longer trash.

Edit. Make that 40%.<<<<<<<<

I try to post my exits before the fact and sold 40% before the close as shown from my post above. That ugly day for credit on the 21st was a harbinger for what was to come and the top for bank loans - at least so far. The leveraged loan index has been down almost every day since and sold more till I was all in cash. It hasn’t been pretty for bank loans. As with anything they go down a heck of a lot quicker than they go up.

• edited October 2023
    Old_Joe said:

@hank- Maybe change the title head from 1.5% to ~ 5% ?

Maybe not ...:)
  • @junkster, as imperfect as it may be, I use BKLN ETF as proxy for BL/FR funds. It peaked on Sept 15th and has been trending downward ever since. Are there better alternatives? I hold majority of BL/FR in PRWCX. The fund holds about 10-15 % BL and the rest of bonds are in treasury.
  • edited October 2023
    Sven said:

@junkster, as imperfect as it may be, I use BKLN ETF as proxy for BL/FR funds. It peaked on Sept 15th and has been trending downward ever since. Are there better alternatives? I hold majority of BL/FR in PRWCX. The fund holds about 10-15 % BL and the rest of bonds are in treasury.

@Sven, not a bad proxy as I use it intraday along with two other bank loan ETFs. But I also use it with the previous day’s NAV to get an idea on how the open end will be priced end of day. I also use the end of the day Morningstar LSTA US Leveraged Loan 100 Index. That index peaked on September 20. It is only down around 0.65% from the top but a far cry from the trend of up, up, and up since the end of May. I could reload on bank loans if they approach the highs but in no hurry. There are some problems out there like banks and the junk corporate bond market. If the latter finally gets hit that could usher in all sorts of credit issues.