Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Here We Go Again - from Ray Charles & Nora Jones

edited February 2021 in Off-Topic
Hi folks. Good to see the OT section is alive and well. Dropped by to share a song I heard today by Ray Charles and Nora Jones. I’d swear Nora Is injecting some counter-refrains into the mix from another country song - possibly an old Hank Williams work. Whatever - This sounds sweet on a connected BT Speaker if you’re fortunate to have one.

Take care.

Comments

• @hank- Hello there. Check out the "Shout out to Hank" in the main section. Folks were worried about you!

d
  • @Old_Joe,

Thank you Sir. I’ve always considered you among the best of the best here. As one may deduce I haven’t looked at the board until yesterday since sometime in December. I appreciate the sincere (but unfounded) concerns expressed by several. Life is good. Having recently acquired good broadband has opened up ever more avenues of information and entertainment for me. A mild winter has allowed frequent hikes through the area dunes to compensate for the loss of gym due to Covid.

Being a frequent poster on MFO requires a breadth of research, commitment of time and intensity of conviction that’s ever more difficult for me to muster. I respect those who so engage. Personally it reached the point where I felt the “gain” no longer matched the “pain” (metaphorically of course). I might say that the overarching atmosphere here has become ever more contentious since the early days of FA. A sign of the times. And compared to what passes for “normal” in most public venues today this is still pretty tame.

Maybe in time I’ll have something worthwhile to contribute on the investing side of the board. For now I’m content reading Barrons, FT, WP and following the markets on Bloomberg TV. I can spend hours in a day just reading the fund reports at T. Rowe Price. New ones now every few weeks. And while I do trade a bit too much in some’s estimation, over the near 30 years investing with these guys they’ve never ragged about it or said a word to me. So it goes.

Best wishes to all ....
  • @hank. Really not sure how to either accept or reply to that accolade. I surely cannot claim to have contributed significant financial advice here, with the possible exception many years ago on Fund Alarm to a new poster who was looking for help on how to get started on the road to financial independence.

Virtually everyone else here has vastly more experience and knowledge in the fine points of investing. I've just bumbled through with a plain vanilla selection of mutual funds, backstopped and made possible by a lifetime of following the advice of my parents and others who made it through the Great Depression in reasonably good shape. I'm very fortunate to have a wife who shares that perspective, and whose help in keeping our financial position healthy has been invaluable.

Where I have perhaps made some contribution is an ongoing effort to help maintain civility here on the board, with (as I'm very certain that you'll agree) little tolerance for those thankfully infrequent posters who have disregarded the basic concepts of civil information interchange.

Very fortunately MFO seems to have had little of that sort of thing lately, especially since this Off-Topic section has been made a little more difficult to access.

In any case I truly appreciate your compliment, and also your many comments and contributions over the years. Please stay healthy and check in here a bit more frequently. Always interested in your perspective on stuff.

Best regards- OJ

• Hello, hank. Love the song. Lovely! Thanks a lot.