Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Small Caps

124»

Comments

• I wish I did but sadly don't. There were a bunch of interviews (late 2020/early 2021) with Dennis Lynch (he was being touted as the Cathie Wood of MFs for a bit) that delved into reasons for its explosive year. If interested, I trust you can track some of those down and get your answer.
  • edited November 2021
    From a WSJ January 10, 2021 article, "The Top Stock Funds of 2020
    Morgan Stanley’s Inception Portfolio, under Dennis Lynch, won the stock-fund race with a gain of 150%," the fund's performance was due to investments in several stocks, but not limited to the following:

Square, Tesla, Zoom Video, Spotify and Twillo during the pandemic.
  • I’m not surprised, @TheShadow. I little style drift is OK, but TSLA in a SC fund? Yesterday TSLA declined 12% dragging some Baron funds down. At one point in recent months, TSLA represented 47% of Baron Partners. I believe Twillo came crashing back to earth recently. There may be something to be learned from the story of Icarus.
  • edited November 2021
    Everything that goes up must come down at some point.

Also, keep in mind Tesla rose exponentially prior to its stock split which occurred in August 2020. From an article I read which stated:

When Tesla announced the split to when it actually happened at the end of the month, shares rose 81%. The Board announced the stock split on August 11, 2020.
  • Musk has a tax bill coming because the strike price on shares he was awarded a few years back is $6!