Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Using free tax reporting software (e.g. TurboTax) at a brokerage

Does anyone have any experience doing this to file their tax returns? Good or bad experiences. Opinions. Can you save a copy of the return to your own computer. TIA for any and all input.

Comments

• My father-in-law did that once but ending up buying TurboTax so he can save a copy on his tax return. We prefer buying a copy Deluxe TurboTax instead.
  • edited January 2021
    @Mark,
    TaxCut software from H&R Block is another option. It costs a few bucks less than TurboTax. Deluxe Turbo Tax is suitable for our purpose. Also we can look back on various deduction and income for last several years. We found that is useful for tax planning for the following year.
  • @Sven - I just bought TT Premier at Costco because the Deluxe info said that it didn't do brokerage statements. Fidelity is offering free use of Premier on their brokerage website but I'm dubious about doing my taxes anywhere online and I definitely want a copy on my home computer for my own records. Thank you for your input.
  • Think there is always a catch with brokerages on free stuff. If the Premier version allow direct download from brokerage, you are way ahead of me.

Still waiting for 1099 statements, W2 and other. I take an hour to enter the data manually but then I have less than 10-20 holdings in each brokerage. Will consolidate to one eventually. This year I will file the return electronically. The IRS office is likely to be impacted again year and paper form tax return will be review slowly.
  • @Mark, did you purchased TurboTax Premium as a download or on. CD from Costco? In the past the stores sell the CD. Don't know if this changes this year. Thanks.
  • @Sven - i got the physical CD from Costco.
  • Thanks. Costco online stores now sell only download version. We are trying to minimize going to stores, especially during busy hours. Will check out Amazon.
  • I too minimize physical store visits. Our local store opens an hour early for those 65+ and I time my visits for then.