Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A brief glimpse into the intricate workings of TMSRX ...

edited December 2020 in Fund Discussions
Probably should have called this “The extent to which fund managers are willing to ‘slice & dice’ in search of yield when there is scarce little to be found in conventional credit instruments.

“Early in the reporting period, we initiated an allocation into a growth-oriented Global Stock strategy, which seeks to capture the excess return of the T. Rowe Price Global Stock Fund over its benchmark ... To implement this strategy, the Multi-Strategy Total Return Fund may invest in the Global Stock Fund and short a basket of equity futures and/or use a variety of total return swaps, consisting of both long and short positions, on specific stocks that align with the Global Stock Fund’s portfolio relative to its benchmark.”

Semi-Annual Report for TMSRX 4/30/20

Comments

• Its amazing that the majority of such "alt" mutual funds fail to produce decent returns over time. Despite all these derivatives at their disposal, it's easy for the Fund Mgr to sink the ship. KISS works best.
  • Interesting stuff, @hank. I am a firm believer in this fund. BTW, since you're retired, don't you have the time and the technology to DIY and save on the management fees? Sounds like a piece of cake!
  • edited December 2020
    To implement this strategy, the Multi-Strategy Total Return Fund may:

- Invest in the Global Stock Fund

- Short a basket of equity futures

- Use a variety of total return swaps, consisting of both long and short positions, on specific stocks that align with the Global Stock Fund’s portfolio relative to its benchmark.

@BenWP - Surely you jest!

I’ve not come across another fund that seems to “play off” or “key on” one of the sponsor’s own funds. Generally, funds try to beat or approximate some index. Here, T Rowe’s managers are actively engaged in trying to capture only the above benchmark return of one of their own funds (not its total return). It’s as if they’ve got two different benchmarks in play.

The ER (1.22%) seems reasonable considering the machinations of the fund. However, over time, that’s quite a bite out of long term compounded return. I’d suggest using the fund sparingly. It’s typically 12-14% of my holdings - firmly in the alternative category.

I’ll note (as does @JD_co above) that more of these type funds fail than succeed over time - so hats-off to T. Rowe for their success thus far in running this Rube Goldberg contraption.
  • @hank: I do admire your ability to analyze bond funds and their holdings, a skill that’s way over my head. I can trade, but I’ve never sold a position short, nor does Schwab authorize me to muck around with options. What they’re doing with TMSRX and behind the scenes at any « alternative » fund is not within my knowledge base. I doubt that those who post on MFO are secretly imitating those strategies, either. So, yes, @hank, I was kidding. And, FWIIW, don’t be tempted to open a Robinhood account, despite your competence!
  • I can tell you have a “PHD” @BenWP:)

(PHD = “pile it higher and deeper”)

Kidding aside - It’s a fascinating fund. I’ve held it from the start. But I still haven’t figured out how the 5 different managers keep from shooting one another. TRP tried a 2-manager approach with PRWCX 10-15 years back and it didn’t last long.
  • IMHO, if one of these alt funds did produce decent returns with limited volatility, one of 2 things would happen: the minimum investment would suddenly increase to 5 or 10 million to prevent too much cash coming in, or the fund manager would leave the fund company and set up his own hedge fund based in Bermuda to maximize his income !
  • "Donut'' day @ TMSRX , otherwise my 2 position were off 2.58 %.

Stay Safe, Derf
  • I agree, @hank, on the problem of keeping five managers or teams happy to mind their own knitting. In any event, I was floundering around trying to place a large chunk of cash I had and would never have found TMSRX without the help of Professor Snowball (BTW, that is the proper form of address for an academic with a terminal degree) and you in profiling TRP’s relatively new offering. Normally, I would not allocate so much to a new fund; however this one seemed to be ideal. I mentioned on another thread that I also got a very timid, recently divorced daughter to pull a portion of her cash out of a MMF to invest in TMSRX. I hope we’re not crying in our beer in a year or two in the way that some us did when we found out that IOFAX had feet of clay. Happy holidays!
  • edited December 2020
    @Thanks for the additional insights @BenWP

Here’s the various styles used under TMSRX’s 5 management teams as I understand it.

Macro and Absolute Return

Fixed Income Absolute Return

Equity Research Long/Short

Quantitative Equity Long/Short

Volatility Relative Value

Style Premia

Dynamic Global FX

Dynamic Credit

Global Stock

What I’m wondering is whether the manager of the Macro and Absolute Return portion might be long a certain stock based on macro readings while the manager of the Volatility Relative Value component might be shorting the same stock? Might different managers work at cross purposes?

Than there’s the “little issue” of TRP paying management fees to Blackstone for inclusion of one of its hedge funds in RPGAX (10% of the fund’s holdings). One might assume (1) that the experience has proven highly instructive to TRP as to how to effectively manage a hedged fund and (2) eventually TMSRX will replace the Blackstone fund within RPGAX.
  • I had forgotten that holding in RPGAX, another fund I found thanks to discussions here. I have some in my Roth. As a Liberal Arts guy, as opposed to a STEAM guy, what hedge funds are doing seems beyond my understanding. However, the fact that TRP is ultimately in charge gives me comfort.
  • edited December 2020
    After reading the list of "styles" hank had posted above, it reminded me of another Team-managed ALTs fund - MASFX. Its been around longer, but hasn't done much.

https://partnerselectfunds.com/pdfs/fact-sheets/MASFX_fact_sheet.pdf
    Absolute Return | Target Allocation: 19%
    Arbitrage and Event Driven | Target Allocation: 19%
    Contrarian Opportunity | Target Allocation: 18%
    Long-Short Credit | Target Allocation: 19%
    Opportunistic Income - Target Allocation 25%

TMSRX has been outperforming it.
  • 9 styles to 5, know wonder TMSRX is doing better. As the ad says, "More is better" !
    @BenWP : What are you referring to : STEAM guy ? just wondering.

Stay safe, Derf
  • Agree that high expense ratio poses a drag on long term performance. On the other hand this fund is quite unique and this year's drawdown demonstrated its value in one's portfolio. On the flip side there are many expensive "alternative" funds.
  • @Derf: science, technology, engineering, math; areas in which I am woefully deficient.
  • Derf said:

@BenWP : What are you referring to : STEAM guy ?

@Derf -

@BenWP can answer that. But I’m wondering if “STEAM” here is a variation of “STEM”? According to BusinessBalls, STEM is an accronym for “Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics” - which would seem to fit the sentence.

Regards
  • I may be wrong, but I think my local school district added A for the Arts to the acronym. I read something about a new elementary program here that was to emphasize STEM while not forgetting that music, art, and drama have their places at the table.
  • beebee
    edited December 2020
    BenWP said:

@Derf: science, technology, engineering, math; areas in which I am woefully deficient.

Science Technology Engineering Art and Math...oops, you got it!

• TMSRX is sitting on 25% cash. Jeez.
  • edited December 2020
    Frank Oppenheimer put art in the mission of the Exploratorium from the beginning. Lord knows what's going on there these days. But most towns have their own Explo by now.

Not sure what this has to do with the OP. But this is the internet after all.
  • Crash said:

TMSRX is sitting on 25% cash. Jeez.

I’m thinking some of that might be required to cover short positions.

• ahhhhhhh.
  • TMSRX has distributed its holiday fare to shareholders this week. It threw off a big dollop of short term capital gains and a generous slice of income. The secret sauce ain’t cheap if held in a taxable account. Nevertheless, there is much for which to be grateful.
  • BenWP said:

TMSRX has distributed its holiday fare to shareholders this week. It threw off a big dollop of short term capital gains and a generous slice of income. The secret sauce ain’t cheap if held in a taxable account. Nevertheless, there is much for which to be grateful.

I felt that TMSRX's $0.29 distribution on 12-15-2020 (approx 2.7% in total) would be ok for a taxable acct.

• You are right, @JD_co. The percentage is not really elevated compared to an actively managed equity fund. I have two SCG funds that should be on CapitalGainsValet’s worst offenders list.

Unrelated to TMSRX, but distributions stories: top-rated MCG BMGAX, with AUM north of $13B, did not distribute a cent this year. OTOH, a previously successful LCG fund, RiverPark Wedgewood (RWGIX) will cost shareholders a lot because of an approximately $4.25 per share distribution at an NAV of $9.05. Ouch!