Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Long-Term S&P 500 Returns, Election Event Risk....

Things to chew on from Brian Gilmartin at SA:

Summary

° There seem to be too many different types of risks developing around the Presidential election.

° Personally, I still think Financials in general and bank stocks in particular are more "value" than "value trap" but more patience will be required.

° It's another dry week for S&P 500 earnings releases, but the fireworks really start once again in the week of October 12th, 2020 when the big banks and many financial companies kick off 3rd quarter earnings.

Article Here

Comments

• edited October 2020
    Mark said:

Things to chew on from Brian Gilmartin at SA:

Summary

° There seem to be too many different types of risks developing around the Presidential election.

FD: the usual --> do nothing

° Personally, I still think Financials in general and bank stocks in particular are more "value" than "value trap" but more patience will be required.

° It's another dry week for S&P 500 earnings releases, but the fireworks really start once again in the week of October 12th, 2020 when the big banks and many financial companies kick off 3rd quarter earnings.

FD: I don't see why anybody would look at Financials or invest in one category when most just need /want SPY/QQQ. Financials don't move markets anymore because the category is much smaller than before without much growth.

Article Here

• Nice chart David
  • Yes it is, Mark. But, at my age, I lived through much of the timeline (too young to remember life under Truman) and I couldn't help thinking that sometimes, though, the devils in the details. And "we the people" have had more than one considers to do with those details. When did we loose so much of our "forward", "continuous improvement" attitude as a society? Have we too much to entertain our time away?
  • Anna said:

Yes it is, Mark. But, at my age, I lived through much of the timeline (too young to remember life under Truman) and I couldn't help thinking that sometimes, though, the devils in the details. And "we the people" have had more than one considers to do with those details. When did we loose so much of our "forward", "continuous improvement" attitude as a society? Have we too much to entertain our time away?

When? When we embraced the social Darwinian idea that the market was the only fair arbiter of the worth of anything, and the sole driver of worthwhile change. Creative destruction. Survival of the fittest. Etc.

A friend of mine tells the story that seventy years ago his father supported his family (rather well) as a projectionist at a movie theatre. These days people snicker at the idea of such people earning a wage that allows them to think of sending their children to college. Wages like that destroy shareholder value.
  • Laissez-faire everything to nothing?
  • My thoughts - we lost it when those with the most figured that wasn't enough. They needed to get it all.
  • Trickle up theory in action !
    Stay safe , Derf