Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fund Spy: Fund Ideas for the New Decade

Written by Russel Kinnel at M* the funds mentioned include DFA US Small Cap Value I DFSVX , Fidelity® Select Health Care FSPHX , JPMorgan Equity Income A OIEIX , AMG Yacktman I YACKX , Vanguard Equity-Income Inv VEIPX , Wasatch Small Cap Growth Investor WAAEX , BlackRock High Yield Bond Inv A BHYAX , Baird Aggregate Bond Inst BAGIX , Dodge & Cox International Stock DODFX , Diamond Hill Small Cap A DHSCX

FUND ARTICLE

Comments

• I wonder why he chose to highlight DFSVX rather than DFFVX. The latter is a bit larger cap, though still squarely within the small cap value box, and still below the category average market cap. Aside from this difference, the two funds appear pretty similar, from their low turnover to their three star, silver ratings. Though DFFVX costs a third less, and its performance pillar is better (positive vs. DFSVX's neutral).

Perhaps DFFVX didn't fit the narrative (i.e. didn't fall as neatly into one of the enumerated types of value investing)?
  • edited February 2020
    Hi @Mark
    At this time, I don't share the views in the M* write; but thank you for the link.
    Our portfolio has it's equity side in the large cap growth area with technology and the side sauce being healthcare and medical technology equity. The technology areas continue to travel the hot path. Our continued concern is what will become of the COVID19 virus and its impact on supply chain for various sectors. Tech. in particular could be an overwhelming favorite for profit taking.

***30 year bond yield dropped below 2%

Side note: Much reduced Chinese tours globally is going to cause many local problems; although not directly related to most investment areas. But, money not spent; may become a problem for consumers who rely on tourism.

Maintaining a clear and mindful eye globally.

I mostly agree with this short write regarding potential problem areas and the continued spending by American on just about everything, apparently. Most of the restaurants in our greater metro area remain busy, even on days I thought they wouldn't.
    Folks are spending the money they have or pushing it forward with a credit card. This, in spite of what I consider being a fairly expensive market place; especially for a family dinner.
    Still sleeping without problems.
    Catch
  • First nice thing I have seen on Vanguard Equity Income from M* in a long time. I hope it does take off. All those shares that have been compounding over the years I have owned it will look nice when it comes to distribution time.

And It's about time they stopped touting Vanguard Health. I sold it a while back, and split the proceeds (after taking a little profit for bonds) into Fidelity Bio and Fidelity Med Tech.