Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

David Snowball's September Commentary Is Now Available

Comments

• edited September 2019
    Charles Lynn Bolin wrote an article that was featured in this months commentary titled "Adjusting Portfolios for the Business Cycle." I found it to be a good read. And, I have linked it below for your easy access.

https://www.mutualfundobserver.com/2019/09/adjusting-portfolios-for-the-business-cycle/
  • marked differences among vfiax, spy, spx, ivv ....
  • edited September 2019
    Thx. Interesting. Vghcx Vanguard Healthcare was mentioned since 2000 wonder how it's doing if one after held all those Yrs (maybe way outperformed index spy dows)
  • About the short video on Propaganda: it may be potentially a good marketing idea but not with "background " music competing with the talking. I found it a distraction, just as I would find talking a distraction if I was trying to listen to music.
  • "Compounding: if your portfolio falls by a third, you haven’t gotten back to your breakeven point until the market doubles."

Explain the math here....
  • edited September 2019
    @JoJo - good observation. Probably just a slip.

All else being equal, it takes about a 50% rise in portfolio value to compensate for a 33% loss. ($100,000 X .66 = $66,000. / Than, $66,000 X 1.5 = $99,000.). So the warning is valid - if the math suspect.:)

I like the special attention to allocation and risk apparent in this month’s Commentary. Needs saying.
  • The symbol for the Institutional class of Harbor Focused International should be HNFSX instead of HNSFX. Thank you for your excellent work.
  • "Explain the math here"

I was snoozy. It's fixed!

"a potentially good marketing idea"

Hmmm ... one of the other featured pieces was by our bow-tied director of enrollment management. I might put in an app at Walmart, just in case.

"the symbol for ..."
    Good catch! Fixed!