Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bridge way BRUSX

Why is the ER 2.0? What is this fund, impressive in 2002-3, doing for me ? I have it in kids Roths and thinking to ditch it. All opinions welcome!
Best, Hawk

Comments

• edited July 2019
    I have it in both taxable and non-taxable accounts. Yes, the fund has been sub-par for last several years as value as been out of favor. I have a moderate amount in taxable and monthly DCA into non-taxable account.

While I have many other funds, this is more a risk taking investment. I was able to get in when they reorganized the micro-cap fund into the ultra-small company fund. Kicked myself for several years in the late 1990's for not investing when I came across the fund.

I think whatever you decide, will make you the happiest in the long run. I think by my not investing it when I could have has prevented me from selling it now.

You may want consider doing a partial exchange, keeping a foothold in the fund while exchanging monies into a better performing Bridgeway fund such as the Blue Chip Fund or the like since it is in a non-taxable account.
  • TheShadow said:

You may want consider doing a partial exchange, keeping a foothold in the fund while exchanging monies into a better performing Bridgeway fund such as the Blue Chip Fund or the like since it is in a non-taxable account.

If I wanted broad megacap exposure I would go with BRLIX in a heartbeat. A .15 ER, equal weighted, you get all the 'meat' and none of the 'filler' in my view. :)
  • msf
    edited July 2019
    BRLIX is equally weighted only through the end of this month. As the prospectus now says: "This 'roughly equally weighted' Index contrasts with most other 'market-cap weighted' indexes, which give more weight to the stocks that have appreciated the most in price."

After July, equal weighting will be just a starting point. The supplement states: "Each stock is roughly equally weighted in the Fund and additional weight is periodically given to the stocks with the greatest decline in price."

This goes beyond adding shares for companies that have declined in price (to equalize the weight); it may overweight "undervalued" companies.

BTW, the high ER for BRUSX comes from the 0.85% cost of "acquired funds". I don't see any funds that it holds, but I didn't look carefully for business development companies.

• Oh really? I haven't look at it in a while. That's good to know -- thanks!
    msf said:

BRLIX is equally weighted only through the end of this month. As the prospectus now says: "This 'roughly equally weighted' Index contrasts with most other 'market-cap weighted' indexes, which give more weight to the stocks that have appreciated the most in price."

After July, equal weighting will be just a starting point. The supplement states: "Each stock is roughly equally weighted in the Fund and additional weight is periodically given to the stocks with the greatest decline in price."

This goes beyond adding shares for companies that have declined in price (to equalize the weight); it may overweight "undervalued" companies.

BTW, the high ER for BRUSX comes from the 0.85% cost of "acquired funds". I don't see any funds that it holds, but I didn't look carefully for business development companies.

• Why not just put those kid's Roth IRA's in index funds? Any managed fund is going to be a big gamble to out perform the index over time.
  • Yes, we are in process of winnowing out unneeded funds. "Kids" are now late 30s early 40s and these iras were started age 12 or so, so they have quite a collection. Now using a few vanguard indexes, keeping a few managed funds like Primecap POAGX, d&c DODGX, and one international either ARTGX or TWEEDY BROWNE at least for the time being.
    Thanks to all for your responses. A few folks might recall my 'annual angst' posts at fund alarm and maybe brill when I was assembling this stuff. It wouldn't exists without the excellent advice I got
  • @hawkmountain- Yes sir, I well remember your many contributions to FundAlarm, and am very happy to know that you are still with us.

Take care-
    OJ
  • Hey oj, thanks for the kind words. Yes, I am still here. Wonder where some oldies are we never see: big dimmy (the poster boy for STAR fund), neutron, brat, etc. Hmmm.
    Anyway, I'm about to hand over the reins to the 'kids'. It's time. And with new security in place I won't be able to access anyway. Daughter says get gloves made with her fingerprints...LOL. Son interested in adding stocks. First purchase? Boeing...double LOL. Looks like the fun won't quit anytime soon.
    Best to you and yours, hawk
  • I was a shareholder of more than one Bridgeway fund, including BRUSX, but performance has really disappointed. It has been a M* bottom quartile fund for 6 of the past 10 years and for BRAGX, it's 5 out of 10 years as a caboose. While they may have some value funds, BRUSX, BRAGX, and the former Micro Cap fund are/were all growth vehicles. Bridgeway checks a lot of boxes I like; they are small, shareholder friendly, quite transparent, and they do a lot for charity. Unfortunately, their numbers don't make the grade.