Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Democracy and Its Discontents

Interesting book review about the geopolitical and economic situation we're in now, the history behind it, the consequences that historical trajectory has for the fate of our democracy and where we may be heading as a result:
https://nybooks.com/articles/2019/06/06/democracy-and-its-discontents/

Comments

• edited May 2019
    (I’ll make only a weak attempt to address this comprehensive overview linked by LB. For one, I’m short on time. Hopefully, others can pick it up.)

- I think the causes (at least in this country) are pretty evident to most educated / thinking observers - even those from opposite sides of the political spectrum.

- I think the trend has persisted for longer than most current day observers care to acknowledge.

- I think as humans we generally are pretty good at shooting ourselves in the foot. Or to cite Pogo: “We have met the enemy ...”

- I’m not optimistic we can do much to halt the regression, given the underlying (multiple) causes.

- I’ve grown to admire the British approach to governance - perhaps odd-seeming, since BREXIT currently has them in chaos. But the Brits will work it out. They suffer from some of the same root problems / causes we do. But they have a stronger and longer democratic foundation.

- The Brits have constant daily reminders of the supreme authority the Monarchy once held. While they honor this heritage (ie Buckingham Palace, the Royality, etc. ) they also know that they, the people, are now the supreme rulers. Their freedom came long and hard in small steps over centuries as they wrestled control away from the Monarchs. Daily they are reminded of this struggle by the many remaining trappings and traditions. I believe they would be loath to succumb to the Siren Song of a populist demagogue.

- I’m more concerned about the U.S. In the U.S. the contest for President now amounts to little more than a money and media driven celebrity contest. Given the “right” speech writers, stage managers, speech coaches, make-up artists, and a few contrived / highly publicized “rallies” even the worst prepared for he responsibility may win elevation to the highest office. In Britain the route to becoming Prime Minister is less direct and determined by first winning approval in Parliament - which one can hope is able to exercise a degree of judicial temperament in the selection process.
  • That is truly one hell of a book(s) review. I've read short stories that were shorter than that review!
  • ha, NYRB has been like that for 55y

New Yorker almost as bad, or good, depending on the book(s)

all v good at rehashing / summarizing in addition to commentary
  • All very true, but I think a complex important topic like the fate of democracy deserves a lengthy well-thought out response, and this article builds to some rather interesting conclusions neither political party probably wants to hear.
  • Yes, I agree with that observation.
  • was not criticizing; is why I have been reading both for >55y
  • @davidmoran- I don't believe that anyone thought that you were criticizing... just agreeing with you, really.
  • good; I feared I had been maladroit in characterizing their method of basing an entire essay around, or informing it with, the book's content
  • @davidrmoran I thought your comments were fine. I agree actually.
  • you too have probly been reading them for decades ... :)
  • edited May 2019
    Although I still read the articles online, I stopped subscribing to the New Yorker after I saw this cover:
    Anyone familiar with Manhattanites attitudes towards Brooklyn will know why. The New York Review of Books I've read for about a decade.
  • I can't say that I have any familiarity with Manhattan vs Brooklyn, but why would a Manhattanite take umbrage at Adam and Eve being evicted and banished to Brooklyn?
  • genesis 4:16
  • @Crash- Genesis knew about Brooklyn ???
  • Laugh. East of Eden, in the Land of Nod. Where no one would ever want to be? James Dean knows...;)