Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Personal tax question. Tax program request for driver's license OR may delay or reject your return

edited March 2019 in Off-Topic
Plowing through the tax return, using HRBlock program; and near the end came upon this, to select one of the choices. The below bold text is as written in the program:

To combat stolen-identity tax refund fraud, the IRS and some states are requesting additional information this filing season, including state identification information. Omitting any of this information may cause delays in processing the tax return or may cause your return to be rejected.

What type of ID do you have?
1. driver's license number
2. other state issued ID
3. I don't have a driver's license or state issued ID
4. I don't want to provide my license or ID

SAY WHAT ???

EDIT: I changed search terms/wording and did discover this from Feb. 2017 regarding this topic. The write appears to apply to E-file and more directed towards state returns. However, compliance appears to be moving towards Federal level or that our software knows we'll be filing state, too.

Additional ID requirements.

Is Turbo-Tax or other tax software also making this request?

Thank you in advance for any insight.
Regards,
Catch

Comments

• TurboTax does not request your driver ID. Don't recall if they request this info. Perhaps for those who file electronically, this may speed up the process.
  • edited March 2019
    No such issues using Turbo Tax Deluxe. Mailed the finished return and a check to the IRS - along with a note that I didn’t want any of the $$ used to build a wall. :)

TurboTax also prepared the state return. On that one a refund will go via direct deposit to my credit union. Again - not aware of any ID requests. Of course, they have the CU account and routing number so can easily verify identity.

I’d be loath to file electronically after this year. Need time to proof read the paperwork Turbo churns out. This year it failed to detect that a hefty amount of state income tax had been withheld from my pension. Would have cost me around $1500 had I not caught the omission and re-worked the state return (partially by hand).
  • TedTed
    edited March 2019
    @MFO Members: Something's wrong, every time I try go to mutualfundobserver.com, I get turbotax.com instead. Enough said !!!!!!
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • msf
    edited March 2019
    Would it be okay to talk about Fidelity?

I've notified Fidelity that the amount in box 1A that gets downloaded into TurboTax doesn't exactly match the amount on their pdf 1099-DIV.

Sure it's only a penny difference, but still one of these is right and one is wrong. Since I reported this to Fidelity a couple of weeks ago, they've been working with Intuit to identify the cause. They agree that in reality there is just one unique precise value.

While they (and I) believe the discrepancy is caused by a rounding error, it's disconcerting that the value is inconsistent. (I corrected the value that TurboTax imported.)

I can't help but think that had their system been built in COBOL (a business language designed for base 10 financial calculations) this wouldn't have happened.

Picture this. S9(9)V99 COMP-3
  • edited March 2019
    Hi @catch22 @msf @Ted; we always use turbo tax, wifey is very suspicious and we always send by mail. we never disclose our BD nor driver license to Austin/Tx IRS office w/ our mail. We do not care because we always pay IRS more every year. TurboTax is great but we always have issues w/ K-forms for international dividends, only got a few bucks a month from those forms from Vanguard/Schwab or Merrill but its like pulling teeth filling out those forms for a few bucks [literally takes awhile 5-10 mins to fill out the forms with all the numbers for only 10 or 20 bucks income]. Last year had to file addenum/attachedment to 1040X - we filled it out and thank to Trump the IRS was closed for 6 wks there, we never got any response from them until last week that they received the memo but as always they keep asking for more money [like an unknown adopted nephew keep asking for more $$ even though you don't know them too well].

We did have some tax issues 2015 was audited and hired a CPA, we had to disclose all our paperworks, taxations, 1099k, statements, even our driver license and place we live/ Birth date, everything to cpa to be processed properly. Think its a formality to disclose all those findings to HR block or other firms I believe...

Another Questions [mabye @MFS or others know about private investments]: About tax and investments accounts- can you get tsp, sep-ira, and private roth-ira [can you get all 3 accounts at same time]? Feel like we have to ask this questions to our Cpa but everytime we stop by he charges us 300 bucks...will give fundings to MFO instead. What the max distributions - 55K for sep-ira and 5.5k for 2018 fundings right?

What is the most preferred accounts you folks use for 401K - we have merrill edge and schwab both opened but may use merrill edge because all tradings are free]

Maybe @Ted's invesetments are all in muni bonds, dont need to pay taxations to uncle SAM but get 4.5% YTM every yr:)...just sitting back in the houses drinking tea and see those DIVS coming every 15th of the month:)

thank you so much
  • Hi @msf
    We all place a lot of faith into the electronics with which we are involved, eh?
    We've processed our taxes from the way back days; as we've not had a need to use a CPA and related; although we have had some fairly simple business uses over the years. We've learned a lot over the years, from the time when one could obtain most of the paper forms from the post office or a local library....:)
    I agree your situation appears to deal with number rounding.
    We've used TT in the past and find this and the HRBlock programs to be satisfactory for our simple needs today.
    We don't download any data; and even though all of our numbers input is manual, we always do the simple math to assure the program totals match our calculator numbers.
    One slightly odd set of questions and choices set this year with the HRBlock program revolved around the Michigan tax form. For certain age ranges in Michigan, one is able to exempt various amounts of retirement income, as well as SS monies from taxes.
    With inputs into appropriate sections defining where various types of income arrived; one could assume the "program" is aware of what income types would be exempt. The program already knows our ages, and thus is able to do the math of how much may be exempted from taxation based upon ages in our household.
    The "quirk" was that the potential exempt income sources were shown in a list and the program user had to manually select which income should be exempt and type into an entry block the total value to be exempted. In our case, and I suspect most everyone else; the total was 100%.
    I suspect this has become a legal aspect from a problem in the past. As in, you; the taxpayer instructed the program to exempt these monies and the amount to exempt.
    The program should have been more intuitive with this section, IMHO.
    I can see problems with this, as some folks may choose to exempt wrong sources or wrong amounts from lack of understanding; potentially creating either an over or under payment of taxes.
    Oh, well........always a learning process; and I somewhat enjoy the knowledge gathered.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • Aside from investing in muni bonds, Ted's also a gentleman farmer. I don't know if he has to deal with Pub 225 and related tax forms. That's something I have never glanced at, and frankly never hope to. (With just 2M farms in the US, he's one of a select group.)

Regarding retirement plans: They basically just fall into two categories, employer plans and individual plans. TSPs, 403(b)s, 401(k)s, SEPs, SIMPLEs, etc. are employer plans. "Regular" IRAs (traditional and Roth) are individual plans.

If you've got more than one employer, you can usually participate in each one's plan. So you can have a 401(k) with one employer, a SEP with another, a 403(b) with a third. They don't affect your ability to open/fund pesonal IRAs, though they may affect your ability to deduct IRA contributions.

On the employer plans, there are per-plan (employer + employee) limits, and one combined limit (the familiar $19K + catch-up limit on employee-side contributions). On the individual side, there is one cross-IRA (combined) contribution limit, $6K + catch-up.

A nice thing about 457 plans is that you can have those side by side with 403(b) plans at the same employer and each one has its own limit.

Here's a column by Kitces that covers the subject of simultaneous employer plans pretty well.
    https://www.kitces.com/blog/coordinating-contributions-multiple-employer-sponsored-defined-contribution-plans-401k-defined-benefit/
  • @catch22 I've never been impressed with TT's state packages. They seem like little more than glorified word processors. They don't help you understand where the figures come from, Intuit doesn't post what's included in state software updates, and as you described, they leave it up to the taxpayer to figure out what the form means.

In New York, it doesn't help with 414(h) or 125 deductions. Sometimes these amounts are deductible in NY, sometimes not, and it's up to the taxpayer to know the answer. In Delaware it doesn't seem to understand that Virgin Island muni bonds are tax-free.

Basically I just do the state form on a spreadsheet and coax TT's numbers to match. I've started importing tax forms because that's likely to prevent a typing error on my part. However, I always verify every figure, every description that is downloaded. I often wind up changing the descriptions to provide more detail.
  • @johnN
    Though outside of the topic of this post; you note:

"What is the most preferred accounts you folks use for 401K - we have merrill edge and schwab both opened but may use merrill edge because all tradings are free]"

---Those with a 401k, 403b, etc. use whatever vendor is available through their employer plan, yes? Your question, as I read it, does not have a "right" answer.

• @Catch22 - right sir. Thought which firms you folks preferred but I think it's simliar to "which fruit is the best". some like oranges others like apples.
    We probably likely go w/ merrill-edge because of their available stocks etf/high grade bonds and free tradings
  • edited March 2019
    Foundout from Merrill-Edge cpa that you can have all 3 accnts: tsp [~18k/yr distributions] sep-ira + roth-ira [55k/yr distributions], max distributions tax-deferred....

likely will save few pennies here and there w/ these vehicles from uncle Sam
  • AFAIK, Merrill Edge charges for trades in small business 401(k)s (though may waive transaction fees in SEP IRAs):

SEP IRA: "Merrill Edge offers participants simple, flat-rate pricing of $6.95 per online stock and ETF trade.* If you're a sole proprietor, learn how to qualify for $0 trades".

401(k): Per plan monthly administration fee ($20), per participant monthly record keeping fee ($3), etc.

Personally, I use T. Rowe Price for my individual 401(k) because it cost nothing and provides a Roth option. Since I opened that account, Vanguard has started a similar service which I'd also look at. If you're talking about a brokerage window in an employer plan over which one have no control, then as Catch wrote, one uses what's available. That's not a question of what one prefers.
  • I use TT and have filed my taxes on a Mac since the MacInTax days of the 80’s. If you want to file electronically, you must enter drivers licence info in order to prevent fraud. You have to enter number, date of issue and date of expiration. I have been filing electronically ever since it became available. The MI version of TT does not come with free electronic filing, so I file the state taxes by mail. MI law regarding taxation of pensions is complicated. Fortunately we are grandfathered and receive favorable treatment. The authorities quickly discovered how many retirees would flee when they started taxing pensions.
  • edited March 2019
    @msf and @ catch22 - hello Sirs/. thankyou for the input. I called merrill edge. their fees are free if you have sufficient funds > 100 K in account combined for 401, brokerage, + boa. probably will go w/ them.

For 2018 distributions, you are right 5500 dollars < 60 yo and 6000 for > 60 yo for Roth or regular 401K, and 55K max for sep-ira, for me total ~ 60.5k tax shelter from 2018

https://www.nerdwallet.com/reviews/investing/merrill-edge

• It's important to be precise here.

"What is the most preferred accounts you folks use for 401K - we have merrill edge ..."
    " I called merrill edge. their fees are free if you have sufficient funds ..."

Merrill Edge is not the best place to call for their 401k plan fees. Merrill Edge contracts out its individual/small business 401k plans to a TPA, Plan Administrators Inc. (PAI). Their plans include a conventional laundry list of mutual funds (selected by another third party, Morningstar), and do not include a brokerage window. So of course there are no brokerage fees. There are a setup fee and annual plan and per-participant fees as I described previously. These are not waived because there are two third party companies involved who need to get paid.

This information is from a call I just had with PAI, using the number for 401k plans shown on Merrill Edge's individual 401k page:
    https://www.merrilledge.com/small-business/individual-401k

"For 2018 distributions, you are right 5500 dollars < 60 yo and 6000 for > 60 yo for Roth or regular 401K"

Those are contribution limits for Roth or regular IRAs. Catch ups in IRAs (and 401(k)s) are allowed starting at age 50.

Let's try going through this again, slowly and carefully ...

SEP IRAs: Only employers can contribute money (no employee contributions). For sole proprietor/partnership/LLC (not taxed as corp), that's capped at 20% of net profits.

In 2018 the max is $55K, meaning net business profits of $275K or better. (We'll use this figure later.)

TSP (like a 401k): employee side is limited to $18,500 in 2018. Technically, employer + employee max for 2018 was $55K, but as the linked TSP Bulletin notes, "civilian participants are rarely affected by" this limit, i.e. the government rarely adds that much extra.

It does, however, offer a 5% matching program for participants in the Federal Employees Retirement System.

Given the significant earnings in the SEP business, let's use a round figure, $100K as the government W2 pay. That makes the estimated matching contribution here $5K.

IRAs: The 2018 contribution limit is $5500 per spouse (even if the second spouse has no income). That makes the limit $11K per couple.

However, with a net business income over $275K (we're assuming the SEP IRA is maxed out), it is highly unlikely that MAGI will be below $199K. So direct Roth IRA contributions will be disallowed. But this money can still be coaxed into a Roth IRA via a nondeductible contribution to a traditional IRA followed by a conversion (back door Roth).

(There are above the line ways to reduce MAGI, including the qualified business income deduction, self-employed health insurance, and of course deductible SEP IRA contributions.)

In short, we have: $18.5K (employee-side contribution to defined contribution plan) + $5K match (estimated) + $55K (employer-side self-employed contribution) + $5.5K IRA (back door Roth) = $84K + $5.5K spouse IRA.

As I posted previously, the $55K max is a per (employer) plan limit, so one can max out both a TSP and a self-employed SEP IRA without worrying about a combined limit.
    https://www.kitces.com/blog/coordinating-contributions-multiple-employer-sponsored-defined-contribution-plans-401k-defined-benefit/
    Thus, for example, if a young (under 50) saver works for two separate employers in 2018, and both employers offer a 401(k) that include employer contributions, they can theoretically receive a total of $110,000 between the two plans, so long as the total salary deferred to both plans, combined, is no more than $18,500..
  • msf said:

Would it be okay to talk about Fidelity?

I've notified Fidelity that the amount in box 1A that gets downloaded into TurboTax doesn't exactly match the amount on their pdf 1099-DIV.

Sure it's only a penny difference, but still one of these is right and one is wrong. Since I reported this to Fidelity a couple of weeks ago, they've been working with Intuit to identify the cause. They agree that in reality there is just one unique precise value.

While they (and I) believe the discrepancy is caused by a rounding error, it's disconcerting that the value is inconsistent. (I corrected the value that TurboTax imported.)

I can't help but think that had their system been built in COBOL (a business language designed for base 10 financial calculations) this wouldn't have happened.

Picture this. S9(9)V99 COMP-3

When CPAs do your taxes, they don't even input cents (i.e. round everything to the nearest dollar). Being off by a penny means absolutely nothing.
  • johnN said:

Hi @catch22 @msf @Ted; we always use turbo tax, wifey is very suspicious and we always send by mail. we never disclose our BD nor driver license to Austin/Tx IRS office w/ our mail. We do not care because we always pay IRS more every year. TurboTax is great but we always have issues w/ K-forms for international dividends, only got a few bucks a month from those forms from Vanguard/Schwab or Merrill but its like pulling teeth filling out those forms for a few bucks [literally takes awhile 5-10 mins to fill out the forms with all the numbers for only 10 or 20 bucks income]. Last year had to file addenum/attachedment to 1040X - we filled it out and thank to Trump the IRS was closed for 6 wks there, we never got any response from them until last week that they received the memo but as always they keep asking for more money [like an unknown adopted nephew keep asking for more $$ even though you don't know them too well].

We did have some tax issues 2015 was audited and hired a CPA, we had to disclose all our paperworks, taxations, 1099k, statements, even our driver license and place we live/ Birth date, everything to cpa to be processed properly. Think its a formality to disclose all those findings to HR block or other firms I believe...

Another Questions [mabye @MFS or others know about private investments]: About tax and investments accounts- can you get tsp, sep-ira, and private roth-ira [can you get all 3 accounts at same time]? Feel like we have to ask this questions to our Cpa but everytime we stop by he charges us 300 bucks...will give fundings to MFO instead. What the max distributions - 55K for sep-ira and 5.5k for 2018 fundings right?

What is the most preferred accounts you folks use for 401K - we have merrill edge and schwab both opened but may use merrill edge because all tradings are free]

Maybe @Ted's invesetments are all in muni bonds, dont need to pay taxations to uncle SAM but get 4.5% YTM every yr:)...just sitting back in the houses drinking tea and see those DIVS coming every 15th of the month:)

thank you so much

10 min for extra $10? Seems like that's worth your time.
  • msf said:

It's important to be precise here.

"What is the most preferred accounts you folks use for 401K - we have merrill edge ..."
    " I called merrill edge. their fees are free if you have sufficient funds ..."

Merrill Edge is not the best place to call for their 401k plan fees. Merrill Edge contracts out its individual/small business 401k plans to a TPA, Plan Administrators Inc. (PAI). Their plans include a conventional laundry list of mutual funds (selected by another third party, Morningstar), and do not include a brokerage window. So of course there are no brokerage fees. There are a setup fee and annual plan and per-participant fees as I described previously. These are not waived because there are two third party companies involved who need to get paid.

This information is from a call I just had with PAI, using the number for 401k plans shown on Merrill Edge's individual 401k page:
    https://www.merrilledge.com/small-business/individual-401k

"For 2018 distributions, you are right 5500 dollars < 60 yo and 6000 for > 60 yo for Roth or regular 401K"

Those are contribution limits for Roth or regular IRAs. Catch ups in IRAs (and 401(k)s) are allowed starting at age 50.

Let's try going through this again, slowly and carefully ...

SEP IRAs: Only employers can contribute money (no employee contributions). For sole proprietor/partnership/LLC (not taxed as corp), that's capped at 20% of net profits.

In 2018 the max is $55K, meaning net business profits of $275K or better. (We'll use this figure later.)

TSP (like a 401k): employee side is limited to $18,500 in 2018. Technically, employer + employee max for 2018 was $55K, but as the linked TSP Bulletin notes, "civilian participants are rarely affected by" this limit, i.e. the government rarely adds that much extra.

It does, however, offer a 5% matching program for participants in the Federal Employees Retirement System.

Given the significant earnings in the SEP business, let's use a round figure, $100K as the government W2 pay. That makes the estimated matching contribution here $5K.

IRAs: The 2018 contribution limit is $5500 per spouse (even if the second spouse has no income). That makes the limit $11K per couple.

However, with a net business income over $275K (we're assuming the SEP IRA is maxed out), it is highly unlikely that MAGI will be below $199K. So direct Roth IRA contributions will be disallowed. But this money can still be coaxed into a Roth IRA via a nondeductible contribution to a traditional IRA followed by a conversion (back door Roth).

(There are above the line ways to reduce MAGI, including the qualified business income deduction, self-employed health insurance, and of course deductible SEP IRA contributions.)

In short, we have: $18.5K (employee-side contribution to defined contribution plan) + $5K match (estimated) + $55K (employer-side self-employed contribution) + $5.5K IRA (back door Roth) = $84K + $5.5K spouse IRA.

As I posted previously, the $55K max is a per (employer) plan limit, so one can max out both a TSP and a self-employed SEP IRA without worrying about a combined limit.

Thus, for example, if a young (under 50) saver works for two separate employers in 2018, and both employers offer a 401(k) that include employer contributions, they can theoretically receive a total of $110,000 between the two plans, so long as the total salary deferred to both plans, combined, is no more than $18,500..
    Man it must feel nice to be a 1%er

• JoJo26 said:

When CPAs do your taxes, they don't even input cents (i.e. round everything to the nearest dollar). Being off by a penny means absolutely nothing.

Your CPA perhaps. And when they do, they might round off to different dollar amounts because of that penny error.

I'm not concerned with the penny, I'm concerned with the fact that their computers came up with different numbers and they can't explain why.
  • edited March 2019
    msf said:

I'm not concerned with the penny, I'm concerned with the fact that their computers came up with different numbers and they can't explain why.

Agree with @msf here. I maintain portfolios on 2 different trackers. While a penny’s divergence won’t bother me, when they diverge by $5 or $10 I want to know why that is. Sometimes I’ll spend hours trying to track it down. Often it’s a result of one tracker not having the correct NAV or, occasionally, I’ve forgotten to update one after the annual account maintenance fee was pulled.

My theory: Worry about the little things and you won’t have as many big things to worry about.
  • edited March 2019
    thx... @MFO and everyone. lots CPAs in hidings and Genius @mfo. thx so much!! clear up so many things...now to other things..
  • Sure it's only a penny difference, but still one of these is right and one is wrong.
    Wow, have to agree with @JoJo26 here. A penny??? Why is one right or wrong? Why does that calculation have to be absolute to fractions of a penny? Can't different algorithms written by humans be slightly different (even at the same company)? Can the rounding within those algorithms be different even by tenths or even 100ths? The why doesn't seem that strange to me.
  • msf
    edited March 2019
    Why is one right or wrong? Why does that calculation have to be absolute to fractions of a penny?

Because there is no ambiguity. I received so many dollars and cents from each fund each time it distributed a dividend. When those dividends were paid into my MMF I never was paid a fraction of a penny. Take those payments and add 'em up.

Can't different algorithms written by humans be slightly different (even at the same company)?

(A + B) + C equals A + (B + C). Precisely. Regardless of what algorithm is used. Add up dividends received in dollars and cents and you get dividends in dollars and cents. No mils, nothing to round.

It's one thing to say that floating point calculations coded sloppily often produce different results, but fixed point calculations must always produce the same result. Thus if results are different, at least one must be wrong.

Think integer arithmetic. You would never say that 23 + 45 = 68 give or take 1.
    It doesn't matter whether that is $23 plus $45, or 23¢ plus 45¢.

The why doesn't seem that strange to me.

You're assuming the discrepancy is due to a rounding error. Without knowing how the error arose, how can you be certain? If you are not sure, then how do you know that the program won't produce more sizeable errors?

Even if the cause is a rounding error, you've assumed a lot more than I did when I wrote to Fidelity.

I suggested that while it was possible they were running two different sets of software to generate the figure they reported to me and the figure they reported to Intuit, it might just as easily be the case that there was a bug in the transmission software, or in the rendering software. That is, a correct, unique value may have been computed, but sent incorrectly to Intuit. Or both Fidelity and TT might be working with the same correct value but they displayed it differently in the 1099 pdf file and on the TT screen.

Edit: From M*'s Fidelity forum: "Got a letter today from Fidelity that data downloaded, electonic import function to TurboTax was in error. Some data is duplicated. Paper copies are correct."

More numerically significant? Sure. However, each incident is indicative of the need to verify all imports because one cannot trust the data imported by Turbotax.
  • I’ve been using Tax Act for electronic filing the past few years. I’ve filled in the returns for 2018 already but haven’t filed yet because I owe money. However, there wasn’t any question asking for my drivers license or other state ID. My biggest gripe about electronic returns is the additional cost for state returns, which I think costs more than my federal returns.
  • msf, the sky is blue. Now please give your argument why that is not true. I'm sure it will be more correct.
  • edited March 2019
    Hi @Tarwheel : if you live in NY, NJ, Ca, maybe reasonable to get out and move to NH, Fla or Tx. One colleague of mine just moved from NJ, total tax was 46% for 2018 [plus all the congestions and traffic in NJ city].. he told me this I almost fell off my chair ..

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-23/trapped-in-new-york-salt-cap-haters-find-moving-isn-t-that-easy
  • edited March 2019
    “The Hubble telescope is famous for its beautiful space images, and is considered a great success for Nasa. However, it got off to a very rocky start. The first images sent back by the telescope were fuzzy because the telescope's main mirror was too flat. It wasn't out by much - only 2.2 microns, or about 1/50th the thickness of a human hair - but this was enough to put the project in jeopardy.”

Great Miscalculations - The French Railway Error and 10 Others
    https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27509559
  • First you ask me why 1 + 1 must always equal 2 ("Why is one [arithmetic sum in box 1a] right or wrong").

Then you ask me to "argue" that the sky is not blue.

You're equating a question about an internally consistent abstract system (arithmetic) to a question about physics or biology (do all people perceive colour the same way) or a philosophical one (is perception the same as reality).

Perhaps you'd care to explain why there isn't a unique right answer to the value of dividends I (or you) received in 2018.

---

FWIW, the sky "is" blue only if one holds that perception is reality.

I prefer to think that an object's colour is objectively defined by the frequencies and intensities of light received from that object, rather than by how that light is perceived. An object has a unique colour whether perceived by you or by someone colourblind; I received a well-defined, unique amount of dividends in 2018 regardless of how Intuit's software perceives it.

Since this is a financial forum, here's an article from The Capitalist Tool (Forbes) explaining that as far as the colour of the sky is concerned, perception diverges from reality.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/briankoberlein/2017/01/11/earths-skies-are-violet-we-just-see-them-as-blue/
  • edited March 2019
    My point was, and I've seen, you will argue any topic on either side, which leads me to think that debating is your passion. It is just what you like to do. Can you admit that? There is a penny difference between statements. That can't logically happen. Just saying, most people wouldn't care. You are unique.

• msf, the sky is blue. Now please give your argument why that is not true. I'm sure it will be more correct

I remember the President Clinton quote (in response to the question about Ms. Lewinsky) :
    “It depends on what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is.”