Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anyone else still waiting on 1099 forms?

The last bit of info I need to complete my 2018 tax return is my 1099 form from Fidelity. The website keeps telling me to check back after February 16. Are everyone’s forms so late, or am I just lucky?

Comments

• This is not uncommon. For example, T. Rowe Price is sending out 1099s at about the same time for "T. Rowe Price Real Assets Fund, T. Rowe Price Global Real Estate Fund, T. Rowe Price Real Estate Fund, and T. Rowe Price Small-Cap Value Fund."

https://www.troweprice.com/personal-investing/planning-and-research/tax-planning/prepare-your-taxes/tax-information-mailing-schedule.html

Consider yourself lucky. If you were waiting on a K-1, you'd be waiting until March 15th.
  • edited February 2019
    Price mailed mine (IRA) in mid to late January. My other fiduciary accounts are Roths and I don’t take distributions from them. Everything comes out of Price. Ready to go. Waiting for the motivation to arrive.:)

Sounds like you’ve already tried to get them online. Geez - Price had them online in early January. I’m wondering whether the fact that my funds are owned directly thru Price allowed them to get the forms out faster.
  • edited February 2019
    Everything should be online now.. Got emails f rom Vanguard schwab they are oneline

Hope we can get some less tax paid this yr .. Last yr paid upper20ks
  • Some, such as Mairs & Power put no 1099s on line unless the client agrees to forgo all paper statements. It's one or the other. Not friendly, in my opinion, especially because the paper 1099DIV-s are sent in February and cost basis capital gains forms are sent on the 15th. Why? I have no idea. Edward Jones says that tax forms will be generated by Feb 15. Years ago when I was an investor in Longleaf Partners funds their 1099s were always the last to arrive, in late February. This was before they had a website. I like to get my taxes done early. For one thing I want to get it over with. But also if I get a refund I get it much sooner.
  • johnN said:

Everything should be online now.. Got emails f rom Vanguard schwab they are oneline

With Schwab, I gather you are referring to retirement accounts. My understanding is individual Schwab One Brokerage 1099s will not be available until this Friday.

• edited February 2019
    Mona
    10:57AM Flag

Hi Mona, sorry made a mistake, vanguard has tax forms but schwab will be available 2/15 like you stated
    hagd

my mistake thought saw it on vanguard or morgan Stanley but no tax forms available until mid feb...only transactions from boa to Stanley are available (2018)
  • hank said:

Price mailed mine (IRA) in mid to late January. My other fiduciary accounts are Roths and I don’t take distributions from them. Everything comes out of Price. Ready to go. Waiting for the motivation to arrive.:)

Sounds like you’ve already tried to get them online. Geez - Price had them online in early January. I’m wondering whether the fact that my funds are owned directly thru Price allowed them to get the forms out faster.

The T. Rowe Price schedule may be labeled "Mailing Schedule" but it is really an availability schedule. The listed funds take TRP longer to prepare and AFAIK are never available before Feb 15th, year after year.

Some types of holdings, notably real estate, aren't reported until February 15. The last TRP fund on the late reporting list, PRSVX, may be there because it typically reports "unrecaptured Section 1250 gain" which is also related to real estate.
  • johnN said:

Mona
    10:57AM Flag

Hi Mona, sorry made a mistake, vanguard has tax forms but schwab will be available 2/15 like you stated
    hagd

Vanguard: "Mutual fund or brokerage accounts with the REIT Index Fund and the Managed Payout Fund will be available mid-February."
    https://investor.vanguard.com/taxes/tax-forms/

Anyone here have real estate funds? Have you gotten your 1099s yet?
  • Yes and yes --- sort of. Hold FRIFX at Merrill and have 1099R. Perhaps not applicable.
  • edited February 2019
    Tax forms available schwab now
  • Yes and yes --- sort of. Hold FRIFX at Merrill and have 1099R. Perhaps not applicable.

Not applicable seems to be the right answer here. I have not received a 1099 for one fund in a taxable account held directly with the fund company. Yet Fidelity has already issued my 1099-R (for a Roth conversion) for an IRA account that holds the same fund.

The delays have to do with tax accounting. In an IRA, there's no such accounting - everything is treated on a cash basis as ordinary income. So there's no foreign tax credit to worry about, no 1250 gains, no phantom income on zero coupon bonds, etc.

Just curious: I'm assuming that you transferred FRIFX into ME, since it shows up as available for additional purchases only. Since it's not NTF there, what are you planning to do about buying or selling shares (e.g. for RMDs)?

(I think I've seen transaction fees waived for RMDs, but I'm not sure and I definitely don't remember where.)
  • Fidelity account has been showing 2/16 now showing 3/2. This account has a reit.

• Wells Fargo Advisors 1099s just came out today (Thurs)
  • Morgan Stanley is always my last to show up. Web site has no mention of anything at this time. They have been in the first half of March in the past.
  • My tax forms at Fidelity finally are available, which apparently isn’t too bad considering others comments.
  • Much to my surprise Vanguard emailed that they would issue me a 1099 at the end of February. They recently converted my account adding a brokerage account with zero dollars. For who knows what reason they insisted on doing this. The accounts they brought under this new account also included my rollover IRA and my Roth. So it looks like I am waiting for a 1099 showing zero dollars. Why??? Otherwise I have all the other tax forms I need.

• Not any more. Only waiting on my K-1 from EPD later this month, then I can file away.
  • FWIW, Fidelity just posted my final 1099 yesterday (Feb 15). It's dated today (Feb 16). It wasn't available for import by tax software as of 12:01 AM Feb 16th, though it was finally available later in the day.