Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MI Muni CEFs

As I start gathering tax-return documents, I have to admit that I don't know what my tax bill is going to be this year. Last year, because of an event out of our control, our income spiked and the dreaded Alternative Minimum Tax whacked us up beside the head. With the new law, it seems hard to estimate what we'll owe. I'm looking to move some of our bond holdings into MI tax-free funds, thus my interest in two CEFs, MIY and NUM. They had a rough patch last fall and the resulting discounts are quite favorable. Both are leveraged. After tax yields are north of 6%. I believe there are more MI residents on the board (@hank, for one) than I, and I wonder if any of you have considered minis to help avoid taxes.