Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The stock market just booked its ugliest Christmas Eve plunge — ever

Comments

• @davfor: This article was part of the "Closing Bell" !
    Merry Christmas,
    Ted:)
  • Just ignore it for a few days and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!!!!
  • @Ted I just looked again and still don't see this headline...and I just got a new pair of computer glasses! Merry Christmas to you too from rain soaked Western Oregon...
  • @davfor: You don't need new glasses, the Christmas Eve historic drop in the market was mentioned in my MarketWatch link from the "Closing Bell", but it's different from yours. My mistake !
    Merry Christmas,
    Ted:)
  • @Ted That's good to hear. I paid big bucks for specialized prescription computer glasses to make my time in front of a monitor more enjoyable....

@Anna I posted the headline mostly because its of historic interest. Its hard for me to understand how people can be too upset about a bad stock market year after an amazing 10 year run. Its about time for some of the zombie companies to get shaken out of the system!
  • such as? any that have any impact on the general market?
  • edited December 2018
    @davidrmoran

I was mostly pointing towards the Feds moves to normalize its interest rate policy. There was a large amount of low interest rate corporate debt used in recent years to finance buybacks and to help keep marginal companies afloat. There has been some specific focus recently on the large increase in BBB debt, its vulnerability to downgrade, and the significant effect that could have on the overall bond market. Those impacts -- if large enough -- could have a ripple impact on the stock market.

Here is a quote from an interesting article I read this afternoon that points towards one aspect of what I was suggesting:
    There are some rumblings of things that could go wrong in the financial system. Companies that loaded up during the era of ultralow interest rates are facing high debt burdens. Some may find themselves in bankruptcy.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/24/upshot/the-economy-is-still-strong-the-risk-for-2019-is-that-leadership-turns-a-mild-shock-into-a-crisis.html
  • edited December 2018
    It’s not a loss until you sell & lock it in.

Unless you just dove in head first sometime during the last 18 months you should still be sitting pretty after a 10 year bull run.

Merry Christmas all ...:)
  • @davfor, I was asking about your specific 'zombie companies' that would have significant impact (upon shakeout or no shakeout)

yes, corporate debt has been bruited for some time now

(figure GE's plight has been baked in for some time now)