Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Week Ahead In The Markets

FYI: Stocks slumped last week, with the Dow posting its worst weekly performance in a decade and the Nasdaq descending into a bear market.

The S&P 500 ended the week down 7%, while the Dow fell 6.87%. The Nasdaq plunged 8.36% for the week and entered a bear market, lower by more than 20% from its August 29 high of 8,109.69 points.

After last week’s crushing performance, the major U.S. indices are on track to end the year firmly in the red. The S&P 500 and the Dow are each down more than 9% in 2018, while the Nasdaq is down more than 8%.

The final full calendar week of 2018 will be a short one for investors. The stock market will close early at 1 p.m. ET on Monday and will be completely closed on Tuesday in observance of Christmas.
Regards,
Ted
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/government-shutdown-know-week-ahead-201945078.html

Comments

• Well, look on the bright side. If deferred accounts are at their lows on 31 Dec, RMD withdrawals will be slightly down for 2019.
  • @davidrmoran: Did you happen to read any of the comments from your link ? If not, check comment by Nancy. What is the value of the market!?
    Happy Holidays, Derf
  • Anna said:

Well, look on the bright side. If deferred accounts are at their lows on 31 Dec, RMD withdrawals will be slightly down for 2019.

Yeah - Gotta look at the bright side.

Probably way too early, but Roth conversions are also useful for turning lemons into lemmonaid at some point in a bear market. Only if you’re young enough to wait out whatever carnage Mr. Market inflicts.
  • @Derf

don't see any comment from her except quoting him, and I sure love his 'lathered in derp' locution

yes, almost everything looks oversold, and if I had any cash I would be buying bigtime, not only CAPE and ARKK but PCI and now PDI
  • Lost about >10% of my total portfolio .. What should I do now... Lol..

• edited December 2018
    johnN said:

Lost about >10% of my total portfolio .. What should I do now.

John, that’s why it’s important to maintain a well-stocked liquor cabinet.

While my funds are off almost 5% YTD, the half-dozen bottles of scotch whisky I stashed away last summer haven’t lost a dime in value.

• Drink lots eggnog and watch Xmas YouTube videos