Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

GOAT, an ETF Symbol for Our Times

Van Eck has just added another wide-moat ETF to its lineup, GOAT; the previous players being MOAT and MOTI. There's a fourth entrant, DURA, for dividend fans. I was musing that it might not be a bad idea to buy some GOAT today; if the market crashes after the election, I could blame it on a Cubs-like jinx and be absolved of the folly of buying a new ETF that hardly trades at all. FWIIW, I am a long-time holder of MOAT, to which I recently added on weakness. It has beaten the SPY since inception. MOTI has not been a winner, having floundered in an adverse international climate. The idea behind GOAT is solid, but domestic moat stocks have shown better results. Maybe that's why the fund's weighting is heavily US as opposed to international.