Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• This is interesting. The reasoning given is that WisdomTree has developed their indices independently. Well, for patent infringement it does not matter if it is developed independently or not. It is either infringing or not. It looks like they weighed the risk of going forward and have their patents invalidated due to prior art and decided they will not pursue it and still brag about patents publicly as a marketing too. The fact that they paid $700K to WisdomTree highly suggests that they were going to lose the case.
  • If I could convince my wife to pay me when she is in danger of losing an argument I'd be a very wealthy man by now.
  • edited November 2012
    Let me amend that: for "when she is in danger of losing an argument" please substitute "when her position in a discussion is incorrect". Being right or wrong has nothing to do with winning an argument with one's wife, which occurs with such infrequency as to be almost nonexistent.
  • beebee
    edited November 2012
    Reply to @Old_Joe:

What I hear you saying (voice inside my head):

"Better to remain silent and appear centrolineal then to opens one's mouth and spend the night on the couch."

Thanks...
  • Let's not read too much into it. People sue for all kinds of reasons as long as it is easy pickings. For the same reason people settle even when they have done wrong, people withdraw lawsuits when they are simply not worth the trouble. Besides in this case both parties dropped suits against each other.

Most importantly, none of this in any shape of form affects how we invest. Another news article for the dustbin.