Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bill Gross lays it out- "I pledge allegiance to the flag, and to the plutocracy for which it stands"

edited November 2012 in Fund Discussions
Investment Outlook
November 2012
​Time To Vote!

William H. Gross

I pledge allegiance to the flag of
the fragmented state of America,
and to the plutocracy for which now it stands,
a red and blue nation,
under financial gods
indistinguishable,
with liberty and justice for the 1(%).

Note: Ted had already posted a link to this article, but after reading it, I felt that it needed a bit more attention.

Comments

• I find it a tad amusing that Bill Gross is referencing the 1% when he is part of the 0.1%, but otherwise, I've agreed with largely everything he's had to say about the state of the economy and markets in recent months.
  • Well, there are those who are among the uber-wealthy who can allow themselves to see what's what. Warren Buffett figures he ought to pay more in taxes. Taxes. They go to pay for the COMMON good. Remember what THAT is? The roads in my city are like driving in a war zone. I'm in the Northeast. New England, in fact. After a record-breaking MILD winter, last season. So the plows ostensibly did not so much damage as usual. The local Interstate (I-91) has been toured by State officials from the air lately and pronounced to be in dire need of a complete makeover. Maybe even make it a surface road, rather than the elevated mess which it is presently. And it's been this way for years. If it's not a case of the uber-wealthy opting-out of participation in a common society along with the rest of us, it's a case of local slush funds and corruption. Stinks bad.
  • Thanks Joe for highlighting the article. I typically by-pass Bill Gross commentaries because I think much of his words are self serving. But this was a great, down to earth assessment of the countries political situation.

I am a believer that there are influences out on the air waves that spew one sided misconceptions and often out-right lies that polarize the country. All so these "entertainers" can attract attention to their shows and make more money for themselves. So, I was impressed when BG mentioned this point too:

" Instead of digging in and digging out of this mess on
    a community level, we sit in front of our flat screens and
    watch endless debates about red and blue state theologies
    or listen to demagogues like Rush Limbaugh or his ex-
    cable counterpart Keith Olbermann."

I often wonder how an average person can listen to "and believe" far-wing pundits who intentionally separate our countries citizens for their own benefit. But they do.
  • Yeah, it's always interesting when someone who (you would think) would naturally take one side of a perspective instead takes the other. As I've often said here, I have absolutely no problem with folks who through initiative or luck manage to accumulate large amounts of wealth, as long as they played fair and square, are willing to carry their fair share of the load, and realize that they have an obligation to help with the common good of the country.
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Good to know that you're still dreaming young man.