Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Google stuff

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/18/google-g-suite-launches-work-insights-tools-to-track-app-adoption.html
Sign of the times: Google can notify the boss about if and how well employees are utilizing the software tools.

Whatever happened to: "Hey, Harry: show me how to use this stupid thing."

Comments

• I keep seeing articles and people forwarding me whatsapp (which I promptly delete) videos on what google is doing internally. And of course expecting world to adopt technology it developed, because how dare the world not.

There is a lot of BS IT that's developed just because it can be sold. For those who know what I'm saying please put it in the Dot Ignore file.
  • edited September 2018
    Under the Google grumbleheading, for some reason I’m getting several notifications weekly (like once or twice a day) that “We’ve detected some suspicious activity” originating from my humble (and completely ethical) ipad. Operating on a data-limited cellular 3G network, it’s highly unlikely it’s been “hijacked” for some nefarious purpose.

Every time Google deems a search (often to a financial site) “suspicious”, I’m required to check an “I’m not a robot” box. After that I’m thrown a successive battery of obscure photos in which I need to identify all the: fire hydrants, store fronts, crosswalks, traffic lights, street signs, cars, trains, busses, trucks, etc. This process may last 5 minutes or longer. The last one (trucks) is especially confusing because the definition of “truck” seems to be evolving. I know some of the popular SUVs and hatch-backs are considered “trucks” - but not sure which ones.
    (Than folks wonder why I drink):)
  • I do everything possible to keep any and all Google-associated stuff completely off of my computers. I DO NOT LIKE OR TRUST THEM.
  • hank said:

Under the Google grumbleheading, for some reason I’m getting several notifications weekly (like once or twice a day) that “We’ve detected some suspicious activity” originating from my humble (and completely ethical) ipad. Operating on a data-limited cellular 3G network, it’s highly unlikely it’s been “hijacked” for some nefarious purpose.

Every time Google deems a search (often to a financial site) “suspicious”, I’m required to check an “I’m not a robot” box. After that I’m thrown a successive battery of obscure photos in which I need to identify all the: fire hydrants, store fronts, crosswalks, traffic lights, street signs, cars, trains, busses trucks, etc. This process may last 5 minutes or longer. The last one (trucks) is especially confusing because the definition of “truck” seems to be evolving. I know some of the popular SUVs and hatch-backs are considered “trucks” - but not sure which ones.
    (Then folks wonder why I drink):)

I was running into that 2 summers ago, using my friend's Mac--- in Canada. They frikkin' know EVERYTHING. There was a Canadian flag on the Yahoo page, even though I was looking at my own Yahoo email account at Yahoo dot com, not Yahoo dot ca. Some things I tried to sign into did not work, or I gave up, due to the junk you describe with the series of pictures.

I use google search, but Firefox browser. Somewhere I have a google mail account, because google owns YouTube. I like to put on music a lot of the time. I had used Yahoo for almost forever, but something happened a while back that just irked me. So i don't go to the Yahoo finance page anymore.

Grin: I fixed your typo, Hank. :)
  • edited September 2018
    Old_Joe said:

I do everything possible to keep any and all Google-associated stuff completely off of my computers. I DO NOT LIKE OR TRUST THEM.

Old Joe - You and some others here are infinitely smarter than myself in that regard. I’m lazy and sloppy in a lot of ways regarding internet. I recently learned that Apple actually offers a free icloud based email and began using that for my most secure / sensitive information transfers instead of my more traditional accounts.

I’ve heard that Google Chrome and gmail, however, are relatively secure compared to many others that now actually read your email content and sell the personal information contained therein to advertisers. Truly disgusting! Here’s a story on that one:
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/14/17237864/oath-aol-yahoo-email-privacy-terms-scan-ads

I’m beginning to wonder if all those rapidly changing screen tests (Planes, Trains and Automibles) might really be some kind of IQ test to determine one’s intelligence quotient? Or maybe a sobriety test to determine whether they drink or smoke grass?:)
    -

@Crash - Thanks for rectifying any typos. I make plenty. Usually fix them sooner or later with an edit.
  • Ooooooohhhhh, Hi, hank. LOOK AT ALL THE COLORS!
  • https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/14/17237864/oath-aol-yahoo-email-privacy-terms-scan-ads
    "Oath" reads my emails, eh? That makes "Oath" a flea on a pile of owl feces. Despicable. If there is any good news, it's that I don't have to see those targeted ads, because I use my trusty ad-blocker. And Yahoo repeatedly sticks a pop-up in my face, telling me to white-list the website. They can go pound sand.