Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Making Wills Easier and Cheaper With Do-It-Yourself Options

For what interest it may hold but more importantly it would be good to hear from those of you who think that it's mostly nonsense.

By Paul Sullivan at the NY Times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/07/your-money/online-wills.html?em_pos=small&emc=edit_my_20180910&nl=your-money&nl_art=0&nlid=20007425emc=edit_my_20180910&ref=headline&te=1

Comments

• Hi @Mark

You asked about being "nonsense". As the article is directed, in part; to creating a will via an online document form; is this the "nonsense" part with your question.
    Personally, I don't find any problem with this.
    A personal reference point: We sold/bought 2 different personal properties within the past 30 years. Both were without a traditional real estate broker. We reviewed a typical purchase agreement; and then wrote our own form. We paid an attorney $50 to review the documents for any errors and/or suggestions. The attorney was knowledgeable with the real estate area; as this was part of a family business.
    We find a similar circumstance regarding wills and other related forms of transferring assets via inheritance. Pay a qualified attorney to review the documents that one has created.
    The below recent MFO discussion covers some of these area.

Thanks,
    Catch

Wills, Trusts, etc. MFO Aug 15, 2018
  • @catch22: Thank you for chirping in on this topic. By nonsense I was referring to the possibility that the documents created on these sites wouldn't hold up under legal/judicial scrutiny. I understand that they probably are unable to address every possible concern some might have but it seems they might suffice for those with simple needs. Like you alluded to it might behoove one to run it by an attorney if you are concerned.