Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Global Fund

Hi Team -- I'm looking for a good global equity fund, preferably one without a massive asset base. Thanks

Comments

• RPGAX... Not bloated. Numbers look not bad compared to peer-funds. I looked at it on Morningstar, and M* often mis-places funds in the wrong category. The top holding in BLACKSTONE was a topic of conversation here a while back. TRP.
  • edited September 2018
    VMVFX. Well diversified portfolio, mid and large cap. Low beta and SD, which I appreciate at this time, yet has provided pretty steady growth. I love the glowing recommendation of "looking not bad when compared to peer funds." Thats a good one!
  • bartab said:

VMVFX.

Sure can't beat that Expense Ratio.

• edited September 2018
    A couple global funds of different stripes i monitor:
    OAKWX
    OAKGX
    MGGPX
    ARTGX
    GGSOX
    VMVFX
    RPGAX
    SGENX

They're not really comparable but one or two might catch your eye.
  • edited September 2018
    Not knowing what type of global fund you seek or how much you plan to invest below is a list of funds with a global perspective that I own. I have listed them by sleeve and by the area where the sleeve is held within my portfolio. A good number of these funds are A share class funds; however, many of them also have other share classes available for purchase. Especially, The American Funds which can be bought for as little as $250.00 for an opening position while others will require up to a minimum of $5,000.00. I'm thinking you'd find it of good interest to Xray each one of them or at least review their Morningstar fund report. In this way you can view how each is positioned, the type of assets are held, along with their asset allocations plus other details. Some generate income while some others are geared towards growth.

Global Equity, G&I Area: CWGIX, DEQAX & EADIX
    Global Hybrid, G&I Area: CAIBX, PMAIX & TIBAX
    Global Growth, Growth Area: ANWPX, FWAFX, NEWFX & SMCWX
    Theme & Specialty, Growth Area: LPEFX, PCLAX & PGUAX
  • edited September 2018
    Most of what I follow has already been mentioned but I'd add:

IWIRX- I'm not betting new money on this fund these days but it was profiled here I believe and performance has been great, especially if you compare it to the World Stock category rather than the domestic Large Blend category M* puts it in.

VGWLX
    VGWIX

The Global Wellington and Wellesley funds are pretty new and the performance hasn't been much to excite me so far but if you believe in Wellington Management and what they've done with the domestic versions of these funds for decades then the newer global versions might be interesting as well.
  • OGIYX might be worth a peek.
  • PGVFX...Polaris Global Value...I think was reviewed a while ago by David. I'm partial to some value plays now though.
  • Value = ARTGX, Growth = MGGPX
  • Crash said:

RPGAX... Not bloated. Numbers look not bad compared to peer-funds. I looked at it on Morningstar, and M* often mis-places funds in the wrong category. The top holding in BLACKSTONE was a topic of conversation here a while back. TRP.

Not global "equity"

• I concur with VMVFX. Have owned it since launch and am very pleased with it - not b/c of it's "volatility" thing (which I could care less about) but b/c of its composition and allocations. It's an eclectic little fund but I like it.
  • edited September 2018
    Crash said:

RPGAX

JoJo26 said:

(RPGAX) Not global "equity"

I agree with both of you. T. Rowe classifies RPGAX as an "allocation fund". They offer a great many diverse funds under that category - and I've owned a few, including RPGAX which I purchased almost at inception.

But one could certainly view it as a very conservative global fund. I'm not sure what @ep1 is really looking for, or what his/her needs and expectations are. But, possibly he's interested in something with global exposure that won't give too wild a ride. As badly as the U.S. domestic funds performed in '07-'09, the global and international funds did about 10% worse on average - many falling more than 50% peak to bottom.

Here's Fidelity's take on the terms "global" and "international: "... international stock funds primarily invest in companies outside of the U.S. Global stock funds have the ability to search for investments in both U.S. and non-U.S. companies". https://www.fidelity.com/learning-center/investment-products/mutual-funds/what-are-international-global-stock-funds

That said, the two terms are often used interchangeably by many here (and probably in the press). My motto is to read the annual and semi-annual fund reports and make your determination based on what the fund typically invests in. I'm not recommending RPGAX (perhaps best described as a "balanced fund with international and domestic exposure") because it doesn't fit the strict definition of global fund. But, I wouldn't be too hard on @Crash for throwing it out there for consideration.

Maybe @ep1 would clarify what his/her purpose is in seeking out a global fund. Does he own another one that has not met expectations? Is he a new investor and very young individual seeking maximum growth potential over a 30-40 year time horizon? Is he frightened by the U.S. markets for some reason and seeking to invest outside the U.S.? Or, perhaps, is he seeking advise to pass on to a family member? (These things do matter.)
  • There are so many being mentioned, will be hard to choose just one. I have ARTGX and IWIRX which have been mentioned each for over 5 years, happy with both, but I also added GSIHX this year. New shop, with a manager that has an excellent reputation from Virtus, which I held for a long time. He left and formed the GQG Partners. Worth a look. If this is your only exposure to foreign , I would likely go with one of Vanguard's funds and later spread out to others as money and risk permit you.
  • Crash said:

RPGAX... Not bloated. Numbers look not bad compared to peer-funds. I looked at it on Morningstar, and M* often mis-places funds in the wrong category. The top holding in BLACKSTONE was a topic of conversation here a while back. TRP.

Crash said:

Looks like OP wanted a global equity fund. RPGAX has a little over 30% in bonds.
    http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/summary?t=RPGAX&region=usa&culture=en_US

If OP is ok with global allocation including other asset classes, I like SGENX.

• ron
    edited September 2018
    APDRX is one I have the other is MWEFX

• The previous posts suggest to me that "global" covers so much ground that it would take more than one fund to cover it: global equity funds follow different styles of investment (growth, value, equity-income); global allocation funds are also very diverse in their approaches and how they slice the stocks/bonds pie. Global funds also differ with respect to the market capitalization of their stocks (small/mid and large to follow M*'s classifications). I'd have a hard time picking just one for a portfolio.