Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The U.S. Is Experiencing A Dangerous Corporate Debt Bubble

FYI: While the ever-climbing U.S. stock market (and the bubble forming in it) has been stealing most of the investing public's attention, a dangerous bubble has been forming under-the-radar in the corporate bond market. Interestingly, this corporate bond bubble is one of the main reasons why the stock market has been consistently pushing to new highs, and it will also eventually prove to be its undoing. In this report, I will show a variety of different charts to help explain the U.S. corporate bond bubble and the risk it poses to the stock market and economy.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jessecolombo/2018/08/29/the-u-s-is-experiencing-a-dangerous-corporate-debt-bubble/#2a2d9584600e

Comments

• edited September 2018
    Worthwhile reading with several interesting charts. The "Everything Bubble" description seems appropriate. The author argues it is likely the current U.S. corporate debt bubble will burst due to tightening monetary conditions thereby causing a stock market collapse. (The only timetable included is that "we are about to learn".) Here is a sample:

• Hi Ted,

You referenced a terrific article that summarized the causes of a bubble formation. It provided ample charts as supporting documentation. Thank you for referencing this short, easy to read, and logical article that addresses a complex and highly interactive part of the marketplace. Booms and busts have always reflected our market economy.

Although I read the book many years ago, the article finds the same root cause for the bust feature of our markets as did "Manias, Panics, and Crushes" by Aliber and Kindleberger. Their model is that the investment crowd sees others making bundles of money and fears being left out of this wealth winning game. They borrow far too much and overspend. Too much money chasing too little product drives up prices. After some undetermined period, a few wise folks pullout and crashes follow. Hence the bubbles and crash cycle.

Although history never precisely repeats itself, the echoes of the past do. Our memories are short and we are slow learners too. Many successful FMO members do not follow that deadly pattern, but unfortunately many do. Good luck in understanding the market's puzzling timing mechanisms.

Best Wishes
  • beebee
    edited September 2018
    Interest rates also rise when there is no longer a willing buyer for a corporate debt (that is owned by a corporation who is trying to sell it) or the debt is sold at a discount to par if the debt is defaulted on. Also, as treasury rates rise the spreads on corporate debt need to be reasonably higher than treasury debt in order to attract buyers.

Apple and Oracle are two corporation (linked article below) that are trying to shed their ST corporate debt creating a "hole" in the bond market that other bond buyers are unwilling to fill. When debt is callable it can be "called" away, but how do corporation come up with the cash? A heavily indebted corporation (AT&T comes to mind) will have to pay the piper instead of the shareholder when deciding what is more important, A dividend, a stock buyback or the paying down of debt.

Article:
    apple-oracle-dump-bonds-and-create-300-billion-hole-in-market

AT&T Heavy Corporate Debt:
    time-warner-deal-adds-to-atts-heavy-debt-load

Other Corporation with High Debt:
    corporate-debt-is-at-new-highs-and-these-companies-owe-the-most.html
  • edited September 2018
    "the prosperity was strongly skewed in favor of the earnings of business and the incomes of the rich. In consequence, continued prosperity depended on continuing high investment expenditures by business, continuing high consumer expenditures by the affluent.

As share volumes came rushing down, prudence in all investment decisions rose as a reciprocal. Solid enterprises began to reconsider their investment commitments. Banks were suddenly cautious. Borrowers had been caught in the market. Better to have plenty of cash. And individual investors, their fingers badly scorched, were also poor prospects for the new issues of securities.

The blight on consumer expenditures was equally severe. Those who had been spending capital gains no longer had them. Many not directly affected thought it prudent to behave as though they had been."

John Kenneth Galbraith: Money, Whence It Came, Where It Went
    (Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, 1975, pg 184).
    [Lightly edited for brevity and to accent relevance to the present time.]
  • @Old_Joe. Thanks for that post. Same old shade.
  • How exactly does this time become systemic? (serious question) It looks bad on paper and may be so for companies, but how does it spread or result in panics and overreactions?
  • edited September 2018
    This time is different? Because?
  • edited September 2018
    Possible triggers for the corp debt bubble going systemic: banks start to tighten standards for "covenant-light" loans, a single-industry cascade of defaults and maybe bankruptcies (frackers appear somewhat vulnerable to such, unless prices jump so much they don't have to go back for refinancing), a big bank takes a write-down, several banks cut back guidance the same quarter, a slug of BBB debt gets downgraded to junk (forcing selling by some institutions) -- and/or any combination of the above, since they're all basically related -- stuff like that.

Not to say that any of those are necessarily going to happen anytime soon ...
  • edited September 2018
    My post no longer of consequence, as the thread has deteriorated.

Catch
  • edited September 2018
    There's a M'star piece on the debt/capital ratio of S&P 500 corps up now.

Short FWIW version: over the past 3y, it's grown beyond the 2009 GFC peak (43% vs. 37.5%). Mid/small caps and foreign have smaller but still fairly significant ratios.

The disclaimer in the article: "... average debt/capital is limited in its utility to a degree. What matters as much as a company’s debt/capital is its interest coverage and cash flows. Some companies, such as utilities, tend to have fairly high debt/capital ratios, but they can generally afford to given their predictable cash flows."
  • @AndyJ: Best to just ignore him.
  • TedTed
    edited September 2018
    Old-Joe: Today I linked a number of articles, a couple off-topic, that gave MFO some insights into the world of investing, mutual funds, and ETFs and they had 340 views so far today. I hope that at some point today you can make the same positive contribution to your fellow MFO members. I can see by your response, "@AndyJ: Best to just ignore him," that you are not up to it.

When someone links an article, common courtesy dictates that you don't step on their toes by linking the same article. That can be avoided by scrolling for the article title, or using the search function. I don't half to worry about that when it come to you. The vast majority of time, you simply make stupid comments rather that link some information of value that can help MFO members become better investors.

For the record I suggest you ask Roy Weitz and David Snowball what contributions I have made to FundAlarm and MFO Discussion Boards compared to you. I don't think you would want to hear their answer

• edited September 2018
    @Ted: Easy, there, Ted. Don't lose it again. You want a link? Here's one that you may find helpful.
  • @Old_Joe: " You want a link? Here's one that you may find helpful." Joe you need to highlight, copy and paste in order to have a link. You get an F- in linking 101.
  • edited September 2018
    @Ted: I feel sorry for you, Ted. It's a perfectly good link...all you have to do is click on it. But then you've never actually learned the proper way to link, using the tools that MFO provides, have you? Copy and paste... that's you. Sad.
  • @Old-Joe: This is my final communication with you. As far as I'm concerned you no longer exist.
  • edited September 2018
    @Ted: Easy, there, Ted. I'm afraid that you've lost it it again. You really should try that link... It might help.
  • @Old-Joe Read my lips "This is my final communication with you. As far as I'm concerned you no longer exist."
  • edited September 2018
    @Ted: Aww, shucks! Here's a couple of your little yellow circles with happy faces, just for you. :) :)