Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Pretty Soon, You'll Get To Invest Just Like Ray Dalio

FYI: Ray Dalio may be slowing down, but the investment strategy he popularized is just getting started.

Bloomberg News reported recently that Dalio, founder of the world’s largest hedge fund, Bridgewater Associates LP, will spread the firm’s ownership among more employees and give them a say about management and governance.

Dalio founded Bridgewater in 1975, but he will most likely be remembered for the All Weather fund the firm launched more than two decades later in 1996. That fund was the first to offer a strategy that has come to be known as “risk parity.”

Investors may not yet be familiar with risk parity, but that’s about to change. Putnam Investments introduced a risk parity mutual fund last year. Robo-adviser Wealthfront Inc. launched one this year and added it in February to accounts with more than $100,000 in taxable assets, raking in $780 million for the fund so far, according to Morningstar. More funds are likely to follow.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-07-11/ray-dalio-s-risk-parity-strategy-comes-to-the-masses

Comments

• Geez, today; more than ever, one can build their own (risk parity), eh?
    Build your own "risk parity" is readily available via etf's or managed funds, if one chooses to be fully aggressive via whichever.

What ya want ??? ETF category list

From a male perspective, what one builds depends how much exposure to one's gonads on a chopping block is "enough".
    'Course, you may want to have your own benchmark, yes?
    I'll offer only these two that travel the 50-70% equity/bond mix:
    --- FBALX with a 15 year annualized total return of 8.4%
    --- FPURX with a 15 year annualized total return of 8.1%

what is risk parity ?

In the end (choose your own time frame), one will have their very good and mediocre performance years. Being in the right place at the right time with particular holdings, lends to the good and bad periods.
    Sidenote: This house could have obtained a much larger return in the few years after the market melt, if we'd only known the market burn was really finished, well except for the ongoing burn(s) in Europe. But, we also escaped the market melt; so our base money starting point was higher than those who sold too much near the bottoms.

Good fortune with your ongoing, being in the right place at the right time with your investments; as well as attempting to determine what a reversion to the mean really is today.
    Regards,
    Catch

• what is risk parity ?
    A marketing ploy designed to under perform straight-up balanced funds and make you feel good about it. That ploy seems to work pretty good.
  • edited July 2018
    Pretty much agree with @Catch22 ’s graphic illustration and @MikeM ‘s wry humor.:)

Well, here we are half way into the year and HSGFX is having one of it’s “better” years with a gain of +1.12% while sporting a 1.3% ER - which ain’t exactly cheap. Over 10 years the fund is still down around 6.5% annually. There must be some cash equivalency instruments that would have matched that 1.2% YTD for lower ER - but with less excitement.

Catch is correct that there’s a tradeoff between risk exposure and return. All depends on one’s situation. Don’t know if the board still draws youngsters in their early cumulative years (ages 20-40). Haven’t heard from them lately. But those folks having a 40-60 year investment time horizon should be all or nearly 100% in low-fee aggressive growth funds. For those of us over 70 and well into retirement & drawdown it’s a bit more complicated.

One added thought: If you consider balanced funds to be among your more risky assets, than there may be a bit of room for some of the more exotic hedge-like instruments for added diversification - allowing for the fact that, as Mike says, they’re high fee vehicles. I’ve got a small foothold in Price’s new TMSRX which certainly looks like a hedge fund on paper. Yet Price bills it as an “income” fund. Their definition agrees with its placement on their risk/return spectrum where it’s listed as comparable to old faithful RPSIX for anticipated risk/return. I’m currently “underwhelmed” by TMSRX’s performance - but, to its credit, it often runs opposite stocks, rising on down days for equities also moving in the reverse direction on up days. Anxious to read their first fund report which hasn’t been released yet.
  • what is risk parity ?

What you agree to when you get married.
  • what is risk parity ?
    I just stay with PRWCX even though it has been closed to new investors for some time. BTW it has been doing well among the asset allocation funds this year.
  • edited July 2018
    Sven said:

what is risk parity ?
    I just stay with PRWCX even though it has been closed to new investors for some time. BTW it has been doing well among the asset allocation funds this year.
    It’s hard for me to explain that fund’s success against similar funds. I’ve puzzled over it for years. Defies all logic. Keep expecting it to “fall off the wagon” some year - but it never does.:)

Own a modest chunk of the fund and have been a big fan of TRP for the 25 years I’ve with them ...
    Still puzzling ...

• Old_Joe said:

what is risk parity ?

What you agree to when you get married.

FUNNY. And true. With tongue-in-cheek, before I stopped working, I would slip-in the following in the course of pre-marital interviews: "If you're independently wealthy, great. Otherwise, the two of you need to realize that financial insecurity will be your way of life." Why do spenders and savers attract each other? Drives us savers crazy nuts.