Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Does this mean AOL can read people’s emails?

edited June 2018 in Off-Topic
I’m a user of AOL email. Received an upgraded “user agreement” today that I’m supposed to click “accept” on. But, I can’t believe my eyes with the following clause as it pertains to “analyzing” users’ email content.

“We’ve updated how we collect and use data. We’ve updated some of the ways we collect and analyze user data in order to deliver services, content, and relevant advertising to you and protect against abuse.
This includes: Analyzing content and information (including emails, instant messages, posts, photos, attachments, and other communications) when you use our services.This allows us to deliver, personalize and develop relevant features, content, advertising and services Linking your activity on third-party sites and apps with information we have about you ...”

Is this legal? (Maybe I really did just fall off the turnip truck.).:)

PS: Guess I’ll start using gmail for my most sensitive communications. Are they any safer?

Comments

• Of course it's legal, at least if you clicked "accept". You have the right not to accept, and they have the right to deny you service. Such is the free marketplace where buyer and seller are presumed to have comparable bargaining power.

The same sort of agreement goes for Yahoo. I wouldn't be surprised to see it show up on Verizon accounts at some point. Verizon owns them all.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/14/17237864/oath-aol-yahoo-email-privacy-terms-scan-ads

Regarding gmail, the article above says that gmail has ceased using email content for targeting ads, but doesn't say anything about it not reading/analyzing your email for any other purpose. All I've been able to find on gmail (aside from the ability to opt out of targeted ads) is:
    We also collect the content you create, upload, or receive from others when using our services. This includes things like email you write and receive ...

The activity information we collect may include: ...
    - People with whom you communicate or share content ...

And we use your information to make improvements to our services — for example, understanding which search terms are most frequently misspelled helps us improve spell-check features ...

We use the information we collect in existing services to help us develop new ones. For example, understanding how people organized their photos in Picasa, Google’s first photos app, helped us design and launch Google Photos.
    https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en#infocollect
  • Nothing that we post on any internet application or "service" is in any way private. If some entity wants it badly enough, they will get access to it. Period. Full stop.
  • edited June 2018
    Gmail isn't any 'safer' than AOL/Oath. They both are advertising-oriented, after all. (Though I respect Google far more than AOL/Verizon/Oath/Yahoo, that's for sure.)

If you want to have a higher degree of 'security' or 'privacy' you either need to run your own mail server (which I used to do) or pay for a service that respects its users. Geek that I am, I gave up that role and happily pay a few bucks/mo for rock-solid, spam-free, non-content-scanning, zero advertising email experiences. :)
  • @rforno- Interesting relationship concerning Verizon/Yahoo. Since AT&T uses Yahoo for their email service (at least for our AT&T u-verse service account) does that extend the relationship to "AOL/Verizon/Oath/Yahoo/AT&T"? It would seem so.

• It would depend on your Terms of Service with ATT, and then whatever contractual agreement ATT has with Yahoo. So yeah, it may well not make a difference. :/
    Old_Joe said:

@rforno- Interesting relationship concerning Verizon/Yahoo. Since AT&T uses Yahoo for their email service (at least for our AT&T u-verse service account) does that extend the relationship to "AOL/Verizon/Oath/Yahoo/AT&T"? It would seem so.

• @hank I thought you knew everyone on this board reads your emails. That restaurant you're going to this Friday night? Fabulous!
  • Frankly, who believes your email service provider is not reading your emails.
    No?
    Then who believes individual employees at your email service provider and are not reading your emails?

Anything that is FREE has a PRICE, which basically means it is not FREE.
  • The thing most people should count on is that they're not interesting enough for their service provider to care.

• Individually, no, they're not. But they are when their emails can be scanned and content keywords can be used to sell targetted advertising against them. $$$$$$$$ !!!

The thing most people should count on is that they're not interesting enough for their service provider to care.

• edited June 2018
    Yep - thanks. Well, I do enjoy sharing in many cases.:)

The one thing I’m a bit concerned about is that I use one data app across several devices. It allows me to make a backup file and email the file to myself for downloading to all the other devices. Keeps all the devices current. I’ve also been storing the most recent file in my email in case a device crashed while away and it became necessary to do a restore. Conceivably, someone who is able to “snatch” that entire data file from my email would be able to run it on the same app.

@msf - Thank you. I’d be happy to pay for a more secure email provider. I’ll certainly look into that.
  • Might be worth reading this and considering a paid option that's more secure:
    https://techradar.com/news/best-email-client

• I went with Pobox/FastMail and recommend them completely. I took their high-end $50/yr package and am very pleased w/ther rather excellent service/features. IMAP lets me have my mail sync'd across all devices easily, so it makes it easy to have things 'backed up' ... I should add that the other day I accidentally deleted the wrong folder of archived mail, but the PoBox Mailstore accounts let me 'undelete' the folder within a few days -- I was VERY HAPPY at that. :)

Oh .... I use the basic free OSX Apple Mail Client as my all-in-one client for campus and personal email, fwiw saying. (PostBox is a good alternative, too.)
    hank said:

Yep - thanks. Well, I do enjoy sharing in many cases.:)

@msf - Thank you. I’d be happy to pay for a more secure email provider. I’ll certainly look into that.

• edited June 2018
    Google can track Anything you do... I feel like goodle know more about u than your spouse (like where were you last night, whom did u email u, what did u google search, wharestaurant you want to eat, what stocks etf bonfds did u reaeearch...,) getting bad to worst
  • edited June 2018
    @LewisBraham & @rforno - Thank you for the suggestions. Very helpful