Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Almost Half Of U.S. Couples Say Financial Health 'Very Good,' Fidelity Finds

FYI: Most American couples feel their financial health is in good to excellent shape, according to the Fidelity Investments Couples & Money study released Tuesday.

The strong economy of the last few years may be the reason 47 percent of those surveyed said their household’s financial health is very good and another 22 percent went even further to say it is excellent.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.fa-mag.com/news/couples-say-they-re-feeling-good-about-their-finances-39431.html?print

Comments

• No comment. Just... no.
  • edited June 2018
    It's going to be interesting when their "feeling" that "their financial health is in good to excellent shape" meets reality.

You just know that this was a well-designed survey, right? Thanks Ted, for more worthless garbage.
  • edited June 2018
    Old_Joe said:

It's going to be interesting when their "feeling" that "their financial health is in good to excellent shape" meets reality.

Yep - Those working class stiffs are making out just fine. Retire on Social Security alone (if it’s still there) and then live another 30 years. What could possibly go wrong?
  • @hank- What are the odds that Fidelity queried people who already had accounts at Fidelity? As if that would be representative of average "couples". The lack of any information on the survey process is very suggestive. Garbage in, garbage out... to invent a nifty phrase.
  • edited June 2018
    @OJ - I plead guilty as charged. Didn’t read Ted’s link and shot from the hip here. (But I can put 2 + 2 together.) Fidelity? How many middle and lower income people even know what Fidelity is? Maybe we’re an exception ... but in my neck of the woods an an awful lot of people are living “hand to mouth / paycheck to paycheck”.

It’s human nature to some extent not to think about the rain until it’s falling on you - and you got no raincoat or umbrella.
  • Hi @Old_Joe and @hank
    I did read the linked article and don't know why Fidelity even chose to publish such a survey; as no meaningful data was presented.
    I'm more disappointed being a long time customer and that the organization is doing this type of elementary work.
    Perhaps, as time allows; I will pen a note and ask why such a lame article was given access to electrons.
    Getting outside chores done in the morning hours as our area will have the max heat and humidity arriving shortly for several days.
    Good Evening,
    Catch
  • Come on, people, just check it out, it's easy:

https://www.fidelity.com/about-fidelity/individual-investing/fidelity-couples-study

See About the Study

also

https://www.fidelity.com/bin-public/060_www_fidelity_com/documents/couples-retirement-fact-sheet.pdf

We should have a guideline about no automatic impugning. In so many ways this forum is more sophisticated than most.
  • edited June 2018
    @DavidMoran

OK, you're right- I (we?) didn't read down to that part. Note that it states that each couple "have a minimum household income of $75,000 or at least $100,000 in investable assets". Well hell, that's your average American "couple" for sure.

Here's some of what Fidelity actually said:

"Fidelity® Couples Study Uncovers Disconnects on Retirement Expectations"

"43 percent, up from 27 percent in 2013) couldn't correctly identify how much their partner makes—and of that, 10 percent were off by $25,000 or more. Which begs the question: if so many couples can't get this most basic item in their financial lives correct, what other disconnects exist that are unknowingly causing cracks in their financial foundation"

"When asked how much they will need to save to maintain their current lifestyle in retirement, nearly half (48 percent) have "no idea"—and 47 percent are in disagreement about the amount needed. This level of disagreement is highest among those who are closest to retirement—Baby Boomers (born 1946-64)."

"74 percent say they worry about being able to afford unexpected health care costs in retirement, up from 70 percent in 2013. More than half (51 percent) worry about outliving their savings in retirement, a number that is significantly higher than what was reported in 2013."

"Despite these concerns, only 21 percent have developed a retirement plan to ensure they do not outlive their savings"

• edited June 2018
    IMPORTANT NOTE: The Fidelity article referenced by Ted has been substantially re-written from a version which they had posted yesterday. Now, their headline is identical to Ted's. Because I have no way of knowing which version Ted actually saw and commented on, I have edited my previous comments to eliminate criticism which I had made regarding his original post.

Due to editing by Fidelity the two versions which they posted had major conflicting perspectives. This should serve as a cautionary example of the dangers of accepting information from any single source as unimpeachable fact.