Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Summer of 2018 Reading Recommendations

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• edited May 2018
    "...He wrote that he had been given a rough time when speaking before an animal rights group. Not because they said that he abused the dogs, but he was called out for being a speciest, because he favored dogs."
    Completely nuts. Like the British Columbia woman who refused to declare her baby's sex on the birth certificate. She did not want to have to choose, eother/or. She does not like such a binary way of doing things. She needs her head examined, too.
  • I'm taking Gen. Omar Bradley's memoir with me on vacation. "A Soldier's Story." One of the two books upon which the film, "Patton" was based.
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/664372.A_Soldier_s_Story
  • edited May 2018
    I read periodicals in print, but generally books by listening to audio. The experience derived from audio may be quite different from physically flipping the pages. Just thought I’d toss that out.

1. “Ripples in Spacetime” by Govert Schilling is absolutely fascinating. Centers on the recent detection of (Einstein’s) gravitational waves, but brings in lots of good old-fashioned physics and astronomy. If I fall asleep listening to the audio and pick up somewhere else in the book it doesn’t matter. Every place you turn to is just fascinating.

2. For biography, I’d recommend “Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future” by Ashlee Vance. Lively discussion of the man and his contributions to technology. (Love watching those Falcon 9 boosters roar into space and than land upright back on earth). The Musk story can be a bit “soapy” in places. Some won’t like that. But I very much enjoyed this bio in its totality.

3. I’d also like to recommend one American classic - “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott Fitzgerald. If you enjoy the sound of words, you’ll find few American writers more deft with the English language than Fitzgerald. An easy read with a dumbed down plot, this rests alongside some of the finest crafted prose in our language. I never tire of reading or listening to it. The book should go down especially well on a hot summer’s afternoon relaxing by the pool or under a shade tree with a cold gin and tonic. Fitzgerald wouldn’t mind your reading his work slightly sloshed. He often was.:)

“On Sunday morning while church bells rang in the villages alongshore, the world and its mistress returned to Gatsby’s house and twinkled hilariously on his lawn.”
  • edited May 2018
    Take a look at "Americana- A 400 Year History of American Capitalism", by Bhu Srinivasan.

I found this to be absolutely fascinating- it's well researched, and the author presents lots of little-known facts regarding the evolution of American capitalism, and many interesting notes on the personalities and backgrounds of many of our major American capitalists.

Arranged by subject, ie: railroads, telegraph, automotive, electrical, oil, etc., in easy to read conversational grammar. NOT political or partisan in any respect. I'll bet @Maurice would really like this one.

The WSJ recommended this read, and I found it easily available at the local public library.

Let me add a personal observation, very pertinent given the current pervasive negative atmosphere regarding immigrants: The author was brought to the United States when he was eight years old, under somewhat irregular entry circumstances. With this, his first book, he has more than repaid his entry dues. Something to consider the next time our leaders rant about murderers, rapists, and the "ripoff" of America by immigrants.
  • edited May 2018

“Something to consider the next time our leaders rant about murderers, rapists, and the "ripoff" of America by immigrants.”

- Except for use of the word “leaders”, I’ll go along with what Old Joe said.

(portions deleted)
  • Two WWII recommendations: “Why? Explaining the Holocaust,” by Peter Hayes, who has devoted his career to understanding what happened during Hitler’s regime. Also “Munich,” an historical novel by the incomparable Robert Harris. The latter title might seem odd these days, but the tale has a lot to say about what might or might not happen at an important summit.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.