Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

‘Patriotic’ Portfolio: How To Invest In Companies That Hire Veterans: (HONR)

FYI: Our nation's veterans bring dedication and value to our workforce, and now investors can show their support by investing in a “patriotic” ETF.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.cetusnews.com/business/‘Patriotic’-portfolio--How-to-invest-in-companies-that-hire-veterans.S1bCqBQI1Q.html

M* Snapshot HONR:
http://www.morningstar.com/etfs/arcx/honr/quote.html

Comments

• Will these gimmicks never end. Being a veteran myself I'm all for assisting them but do it directly. Investing in companies will do them no more good than anyone else who gets hired but the companies might make out like bandits. However you also must be careful when supporting vets directly (e.g. Wounded Warrior Project until they got smacked around like they richly deserved).

As for these investment themes take a look at how MAGA has fared against SPY when it was hailed as the next greatest thing once the new administration was put into power.
  • Why post this bogus Fox crap? Oh, right, patriotism.

Unworthy of this weekend.

Like the militarization of the opening of sports events. Come on.

No company would not love to hire more vets when they can do the work, or close enough.

This equation of military display (not only at sporting events) w/ patriotism is such pernicious, divisive, destructive crap.

Coach Kerr has got it:
    https://www.facebook.com/NowThisSports/videos/831418063695194/

Btw, if you do not know, this is a guy whose famous academic father was murdered by terrorists in Beirut.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2018
    Maurice, in my opinion you are mixing up your causes. Taking a knee at a football game had nothing to do with the military and you know that. It was a statement that in this day and age certain Americans are still treated differently than others. Ask yourself why there was no negative ruckus when Tim Tebow took a knee.

There are alternative energy funds and stocks (i.e. Climate Change related) that I invest in simply because there is money to be made and I believe in the science, necessity and demand. Again, in my opinion it will come whether you believe in it or not.
  • come on, stop talking sense
  • Sorry David, guess I wasn't thinking again.
  • edited May 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice, your post began as a response to Mark, but then got so incoherent I thought to let it slide by. But since you mention me, I would say only that the NFL has no idea what true patriotism is, it's all base-pandering and faux valentines to saluters and the orange one, and it sure sounds as though you don't know about patriotism either, although who can tell these things? (One dictionary: 'devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty'.)

Just watch the Kerr video.

(I do love how one self-styled "patriot" here has as his image an actor playing a general!)

>> For decades the NFL thought patriotism, the flag and the military were great, and incorporated the military jets, military marching and musical bands, the National Anthem and the respective holidays into their game and sponsors' promotions. Then they changed their mind. They were no longer being divisive, when they flipped their proverbial finger at the American public and its symbols. That is until their attendance, ticket sales and their sponsors' revenues start to substantial slip, or should we say plummet.

Can you explain what you're talking about here, with time periods and cites? Plummet? Flipped the finger?
  • Who questioned your own patriotism?

Still curious about your version of NFL history.

Violent agreement about sports co-opting whatever it is.
  • Interesting; hadn't heard of the 'partial strike' rule. So besides legal action on the failure to consult the players' union, apparently the only immediate response possible is a general strike.
  • https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/the-first-amendment-and-restricting-professional-athlete-protests
    Almost all NFL franchises are considered private companies and NFL players belong to unions that negotiate contracts on behalf of their members. However, pro football players also perform on game day at sports stadiums that are financed by public, tax-payer money. Would a protesting athlete have First Amendment free speech protections standing (or kneeling) on a field that is a quasi-public forum?

A Marquette Law Review article from 2010 made an argument that a stadium’s field as a public forum for athletes is an unsettled issue. Its author, Marquette Law grad Nick DeSiato, concluded that a determination of a sports stadium as a public space with First Amendment rights is an “imprecise science” subject to different interpretations. While a stadium can be funded by public money, the private sports club using it must be considered a “state actor” for some First Amendment requirements to apply to permitted activities inside the stadium. (In most cases, the First Amendment applies to government actions, not actions taken by private companies.)

As for anthem protests, DeSiato cited one example from 2004, when baseball player Carlos Delgado refused to stand for the singing of “God Bless America” in a political protest against the Iraq War. Delgado’s act didn’t break a league or club policy, but the crowd reacted negatively against Delgado.

Florida International University law professor Howard Wasserman, in a 2003 legal study, said professional athlete silent protesting against anthems is one of several forms of “symbolic counter-speech.” The tradition of singing the national anthem at pro sports events dates back to the 1918 baseball World Series, Wasserman explained, and it has taken its own unique context at public venues.

“By definition, an anthem is a song or hymn of praise or loyalty for or to something else. The anthem comes to mean something more than its words and music, but acts as a musical or lyrical tribute to, or affirmation of, something else—the United States, the flag, and their underlying ideals,” Wasserman explained. “By participating, individuals adhere to and adopt the ideas symbolized in the song itself; by not participating, they send a different, contrary message,” he added.

In the case of Delgado and the current NFL players, there wasn’t a league ruling that punished the participants for their actions, and the First Amendment-public forum argument wasn’t tested. But back in 1996, National Basketball Association star Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf was suspended for one game for refusing to stand for a national anthem as a protest related to his religious beliefs. After his return, Abdul-Rauf stood and prayed during the anthem.

The real test of a sports league policy that punishes anthem protesters is in the labor relations arena. University of New Hampshire law professor Michael McCann, who is a recognized expert in sports law, wrote for Sports Illustrated over the weekend that technically, sports-team owners could fire protesting players, but “though it is by no means a sure thing.”

McCann explained that because the First Amendment only applies to government sanctions, “a player’s rights as an employee are largely determined by contract. There are two relevant contracts here: the player’s employment contract with his team and the collective bargaining agreement that governs the player’s working conditions as an employee of one franchise in a league.”

An NFL team that fired a player for protesting would not only need to deal with the players’ union and the arbitration process, but the terminated player could file a discrimination complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or possibly file a defamation lawsuit, McCann said.

The resistance from the NFL players’ union would be significant. Union executive director DeMaurice Smith said on Twitter after President Trump’s statements that “we will never back down it comes to protecting the constitutional rights of our players as citizens as well as their safety.”
  • https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2018/05/29/trump-is-no-patriot-and-we-all-should-say-so/

Jennifer Rubin used to be a deeply conservative columnist, and is now just a particularly thoughtful one.