Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Core Bond Funds

2»

Comments

• edited May 2018
    I'm not a chart expert but the Lord Abbett fund looks good in that chart, based on what I see. I've looked at the Loomis Sayles funds extensively, and I always come to the same conclusion: Excellent long-term results as long as you can withstand the rollercoaster ride.
  • @ catch22:

Hmm... We were not able to load the data for this chart. Please reload this page. If this error persists please contact customer support and let them know what happened.
    Derf
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2018
    Hi @catch 22,

Just for the heck of it ...

Why was AGG not included in the charting? In this way one could see how bonds represented by AGG and stocks represented by SPY performed against one another and also the referenced income funds. In addition, it would nice to see what the total distributions were for each security through the charting period. The chart follows valuation not total retrun.

I'm in belief that this chart exercise does not reflect the complete story as distributions are not reflected.
  • edited May 2018
    Hi @Old_Skeet
    Per stockcharts info; all distributions in whatever form are included in their chart indicating a "total return" for a period used (unless the time frame is too short to have a distribution included during the period).

Stockcharts total return calculation methods

You may right click on the "2615 days" block and select several default time periods.
    I've added AGG to the original chart.
    @Derf
    Didn't you have a problem with a previous chart I posted, too?
    Are you using an Apple device or ???
    I've had a few times when a chart I was building did not display after the build. The page only indicated which symbols I was using. While staying at the page, I had to right click and "select reload" a few times. I don't think this was a problem at my end, but either with the site being too busy or too much internet traffic at the time. But, I've never had a continued problem with loading the graphic.
    Let me know, please.

http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?NEFZX,LBNDX,TSIAX,CTFAX,SPY,AGG&p=6&O=011000
  • I use "NoScript" to prevent loading up tons of unwanted cookies and other tracking garbage. NoScript is asking me if I want to allow TEN additional scripts/trackers to load from the Stockcharts site alone. That's in addition to a few which are already allowed as being relatively harmless.

This is evidently preventing the chart from loading. It's not worth it, to me. Not even close.
  • @Maurice- Only 85?? What else would you expect from a right-wing propaganda sheet? Try reading some real newspapers for a change!
    :)
  • catch22 said:

Just for the heck of it........

A chart of a few of the funds mentioned recently with SPY for reference.
    Mid Dec. 2017 to date.

http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?NEFZX,LBNDX,TSIAX,CTFAX,SPY&p=6&O=011000

Still not getting the case for CTFAX. Regardless, the chart does something funky when I select/unselect a particular fund. What is it doing?
  • wxman123 said:

THOPX

Even Plumb Balanced looks good. I know at one point there was some issue with company. Used to be Thompson Plumb funds. Then they had a tiff? Anyways, I stayed away.
  • Hi @VintageFreak
    I've seen a lot of funky during my life; but I need more info. But, I'll grab a guess.
    The select/deselect I will assume is that you are clicking onto the tabs at the top of the chart area. I know this removes the particular item from the chart layout (actually creates a flat line left to right at the "0" percent return in the color of the tab).
    I have not attempted to study the function, except that it removes the item.
    With the chart in this discussion, clicking on SPY (to flat line) really changes the remaining chart lines. I have not investigated this.

---If you want to remove a ticker symbol from this chart, place the cursor to right of the ticker and backspace, keeping only one "comma" between symbols. In this case, you can try with SPY.
    --- click the "GO" button and the chart will reload with the remaining 4 symbols, but will reload and display for "200" days, the default setting for a chart. Right click on the "200 day" section and you will be presented with other default choices. For the chart I placed here, I selected "ALL". NOTE: a symbol placed into the list for viewing with the shortest "inception date" will be the limiting factor for how far backward the chart will display.
    --- This is an active chart, so you may save the link and return to entry whatever you choose............backspace the current symbols and add whatever.
    I've got to crash for tonight, but will add if I think about something else for this tomorrow.
    I have used very few features of this site, and am not a login member. I wish I were much younger and had more time to study the site fully. There is a lot available to study....a well structured site, IMHO.
    Good night,
    Catch
  • edited May 2018

wxman123 said:

THOPX

Even Plumb Balanced looks good. I know at one point there was some issue with company. Used to be Thompson Plumb funds. Then they had a tiff? Anyways, I stayed away.

Speaking of THOPX......This is an unloved great performer. I mean I even got bored of it...but check out the Rock solid performance on MS. How does one beat that for a short term core bond fund?
  • THOPX seems to be an interesting fund for a rising rate environment in the short-term area. It has a great chart over the past two years. Things could change drastically when credit issues rear their ugly head, however. Lots of middling credit corporate bonds.
  • @willmatt72- But it's for sure an interesting alternative to RPHYX. Now you guys have got me thinking about maybe splitting my RPHYX for the sake of diversity.
  • @Old_Joe - I was looking at the THOPX chart for 2015-16 and thought it showed some credit weakness for a ST bond fund. It recovered nicely, however, as circumstances changed. Just my opinion.
  • The new star in the short term bond sector is HOBIX/HOBEX. Yes, high expenses because of the small AUM and only available in but a few states and hardly any brokerage platforms. Never understood the allure of RPHYX and even more so now with money market funds on their way to 3%.
  • Hi Junkster, always interested to see your posts. Care to elaborate why you aren't too enamored with RPHYX? Thanks.
  • Just placed an order for a small position in HOBEX ntf at Schwab with $100 minimum.I'll see if it gets filled on 5/21.
  • I'm not sure I'd call HOBEX a bond fund. According to MS it's only about 54% in bonds. It holds lots of preferreds and according to its literature intends to also invest in CEFs and ETFs. It may be a great fund but just a heads up as to its asset mix. If one seeks to use juice the bond space of a portfolio I like FAGIX. Of course it was down 32% in '08 compared with 2% for THOPX!
  • Since we are throwing out bond funds, I would suggest taking a look at ISIAX for a strategic income/kicker bond fund. Thus far, low SD, high SR, half decent yield and holding up fairly well this year.

http://www.morningstar.com/funds/XNAS/ISIAX/quote.html