Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Schwab offer - $100 for $10K HY checking deposit (90 days)

This is by invitation only for existing customers.
http://www.hustlermoneyblog.com/charles-schwab-checking-bonus/

I ran the numbers and it seems like nuisance work for relatively little, even if you've got $10K in cash sitting idle for 90 days. Assuming a high tax state (10% state tax), you still double the return of a 3 month Treasury. But is it worth the effort?

Interest earned in 90 days: 0.20%/4 x $10K = $5 (HY Checking rate is 0.20%)
Bonus = $100
Total return: $105
After state tax deducted: $95. Subtract an extra 10% - 37% (of $105) for federal taxes.

3 Month zero projected yield (from Fidelity): 1.81%
Interest earned in 90 days ~= 1.81%/4 x $10K = $45
No state tax, so $45. Subtract an extra 10% - 37% for federal taxes.

For example, at 10%, $85 vs. $41, at 37%, $56 vs. $28,

(3 month CDs are currently yielding less than Treasuries, and are subject to state tax.)

Side note: The Schwab account is good to use as a cash machine when traveling abroad - no ATM fees even internationally, and no foreign exchange fee, not even the usual 1% network fee.

Comments

• Another interesting way to find interest...5% savings account:
    poorerthanyou.com-5-percent-savings-accounts/
  • @bee. I hope this goes on forever. Anyone who loses this job until he finds new one should definitely do this, no excuses.
  • Thanks, @msf. I just ordered ATM cards from Schwab. Have had checking there for ages, but never had the card. I got ripped off with my BOA debit card in Spain last year. Will use on next trans-Atlantic trip later this month.
  • I don't see it ... not sure how Schwab's "exclusive" offer competes anywhere close to say:

https://www.synchronybank.com/banking/?UISCode=0000000

c
  • msf
    edited May 2018
    The offer is exclusive (no quotes) because it says (see image in original link):
    Note: This offer is only available to recipients of this email and cannot be
    forwarded to other individuals. Employees of Charles Schwab Corporation, its
    subsidiaries and affiliates are excluded.
    If you're not an existing customer, Schwab offers a $100 bonus with no strings attached (no min deposit or time requirement). Just open an account.

But for existing customers, Schwab is giving you an APY of about 4.26% on $10K for 90 days.

I can't find a Syncrony new money bonus offer, exclusive or not. If I had $10K sitting around in Syncrony, I could get nearly triple the return by moving it to Schwab for 90 days. (With the higher, and state-tax-free, T-bill rate, the Schwab offer only doubles the achievable return.)

My question was whether it was worth the effort of moving money in and then back out after 90 days to get this doubling, or in the case of Syncrony, tripling, of interest.

If your question is, notwithstanding any bonus offers, how Syncrony compares with Schwab HY, then like many comparisons, neither product "wins" in all aspects.

Savings account rates at Syncrony or any internet bank, let alone several brick and mortar bank will beat most (non-reward) checking account rates, including Schwab's HY checking. On the other hand, most checking accounts will beat most savings accounts on ease/cost of access. Schwab's HY checking account is especially good on access:
    • Check writing: Syncrony savings (no), MMA (limited); Schwab: unlimited.
    • Withdrawals per month: Syncrony, 6; Schwab, unlimited
    • Online bill pay: Syncrony: unclear (application refers to it but no terms); Schwab: yes.
    • ATM rebates: Syncrony: only in US, only $5/mo until you've been them for 5 years or invest more money than the FDIC insures (over $250K); Schwab: unlimited, worldwide.
    • Currency exchange fee rebates: Syncrony: no; Schwab: yes
    • International POS (debit card) transactions: Syncrony: no; Schwab: yes.
    Note that it's easy to couple Schwab's checking account with SWVXX (7 day SEC yield 1.69%). Transferring between the two doesn't entail a 2 day lag that one may see with ACH transfers from internet banks. On the other hand, bank accounts are FDIC-insured; MMFs are not.
  • Nice msf, thank you. I did have a Schwab checking account for years, and a CC if I remember. I do think we need to looking for higher savings/checking interest rate giving the rise in fed rates lately. Hope all is well, c
  • Charles, as you observed, rates are in flux. ISTM that prime MMF rates are finally pulling ahead of internet bank rates. That's the normal order of things, since they don't have the same reserve or insurance requirements that banks have. OTOH, that means they carry more risk.

I'm taking an "all of the above" approach:
    - MMFs (both muni and taxable prime) for slightly higher yield and almost certain liquidity
    - internet bank for true emergency cash (in case MMFs do exercise their right to hold funds if their liquidity drops)
    - ultra short muni MMFs to try to squeeze a little more return (and failing YTD)
    - 3-6 month T-bills for a bit more return at the expense of a little liquidity

I may be a bit paranoid about debit cards (risk of account being drained), so I just keep pocket change balances in them so that I can get cash as needed.

If you still have that Schwab CC - it turned into a BofA cash rewards card - it has one feature that the "regular" BofA cash rewards doesn't have. It still doesn't charge for foreign transactions. So even at 1% cash back, it's as good as, say, the Fidelity Visa (2%) card when used abroad. The Fidelity card, like many cards, charges a 1% foreign transaction fee.

• Can't beat Schwab's service. I ordered above-referenced ATM cards late Saturday afternoon and today FedEx comes with separate express envelopes for madame et moi.