Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Restuarant Food Deliveries Are Changing The Way They Do Business

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• edited April 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice Once again you post a link that has nothing to do with mutual funds.
    Regards,
    Ted:(
  • edited April 2018
    @Ted- Maurice posted a perfectly reasonable item in the "Off-Topic" arena. Personally I found his information to be very interesting, and in general agreement with my observations with many restaurants here in SF. Many of these restaurants are up against very high rental costs, and their profit on liquor and wine is what gives them enough margin to make it.

And it's certainly no secret that the wait-staff depends heavily on tips to survive. Due to the high costs of living local restaurants are having a very hard time finding and retaining good servers and kitchen help.

There are nearly several dozen restaurants within two blocks of our home. If we eat there, it costs an extra $32-$35 for a bottle of wine that sells at Trader Joes for $8 or $10. If we order takeout, we save at least 25% on costs. Do that a few times and you have enough to buy a few mutual fund shares.

How many times, for how many years, have we discussed the necessity to economize when possible, especially in the earlier capital-formative years? I think that you are WAY off-base here with your increasingly negative comments on other people's posts.

You're giving us older people a bad name as narrow-minded miserable curmudgeons. Not everyone lives like a hermit out in the boondocks of Illinois.
  • @Old_Joe: Stop being an apologist for Maurice.
    Regards,
    Ted:(
  • The more people get their daily sustenance from restaurants, the worse the food becomes. It is at the point where we prefer our own cooking and go out just to get out of the house.
  • "Stop being an apologist for Maurice"

@Ted- As you know very well Maurice and I have fundamental differences of opinion in many areas, and I'll certainly take him on any time when I think he's wrong. That doesn't mean that everything he says is wrong. Your consistent and ongoing attempts to bully him suggests that you have a personal animus against Maurice, and attempt to censor his commentary because of that. You will of course deny that is the case, but the record of your remarks pretty well speaks for itself.
  • :(:(:(
    @Ted: That's for sure.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2018
    hello - side note: Anyone own restaurant business and using ubereats or other food delivery apps similar? my friend is running a small mom/pop restaurant business and thinking about joining these APPS for more customers to bring in more income, are they worth it [ubereats Postmates, DoorDash, Uber, Deliveroo etc...]? thx