Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• beebee
    edited March 2018
    @Mark, from your article I quoted this:
    Roth IRA conversion amounts may not be recharacterized back to a Traditional IRA after December 31 of the conversion year, beginning with conversions made in 2018.
    The quote above makes it sound like a Roth conversion initiated on January 1 could be recharacterized so long this recharacterization is completed by December 31 of the same year?

I originally assumed all Roth recharacterizations were eliminated.

With a quick searched I found this:
    A Roth IRA conversion made in 2017 may be recharacterized as a contribution to a traditional IRA if the recharacterization is made by October 15, 2018. A Roth IRA conversion made on or after January 1, 2018, cannot be recharacterized. For details, see “Recharacterizations” in Publication 590-A, Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs).
    Sounds to me like there are no recharacterization on Roth Conversions...period.

Can anyone confirm?
  • msf
    edited March 2018
    You're absolutely correct.

The plain English of the Tax Cut and Job Acts says that starting with tax year 2018, Roth conversions cannot be recharacterized. Unfortunately, the experts advised people to unnecessarily rush their tax year 2017 recharacterizations before Jan 1.

At least those experts are now citing the IRS FAQ, January 23, 2018 that says what you wrote.
    Can I recharacterize a rollover or conversion to a Roth IRA?

Effective January 1, 2018, pursuant to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (Pub. L. No. 115-97), a conversion from a traditional IRA, SEP or SIMPLE to a Roth IRA cannot be recharacterized. The new law also prohibits recharacterizing amounts rolled over to a Roth IRA from other retirement plans, such as 401(k) or 403(b) plans.

How does the effective date apply to a Roth IRA conversion made in 2017?

A Roth IRA conversion made in 2017 may be recharacterized as a contribution to a traditional IRA if the recharacterization is made by October 15, 2018. A Roth IRA conversion made on or after January 1, 2018, cannot be recharacterized. For details, see “Recharacterizations” in Publication 590-A, Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs).
    https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/ira-faqs-recharacterization-of-ira-contributions
  • Bee, what msf said. I'm finding the exact same information.