Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Site Upgraded Sat 9/8 - Having Trouble Posting - Read this message

edited September 2012 in Fund Discussions
The software upgrade is complete. We've added some incredibly cool and useful enhancements, most of which should be pretty self-explanatory: F/L, for example, takes you to the First or Last post on a particular thread. For those of you looking for some help with the new look, please see the User's Guide generously created for us by Old_Joe. We'll work on a "quick guide" in the weeks ahead.

If you've got problems, questions, comments and happy outbursts, please do share them with us and we'll keep refining the board for you.

Thanks to the folks who've been testing the site for the past week and, especially, to you for your patience.

chip, for Accipiter and David and the other folks behind the scenes

Comments

• An important note!

If you are having trouble posting, please sign out, close down your browser, reopen, and sign back in again. That seems to take care of it.
  • Thank you. The site is so professional now.

Just wanted to say I'm seeing weird behavior in Google Chrome though. Cursor jumping all over the place instead of staying at the end of of the last character I typed, and suddenly this HTML layer pops up showing me summary of who has replied to my posts which takes a while to go away and I'm not sure how it goes away.
  • Reply to @VintageFreak:
    could be the first time you sign in takes a bit to load.
  • edited September 2012
    I'm seeing &#x24B2 then a down-arrow. Shouldn't it be an up-arrow? (Between avatar and username).
    Sorry for duplicate. I thought the other one in the test thread didn't post.
  • Thank you for retrieving my recent dissertation. Disappeared for awhile but you got it back. Appreciate all the effort from our crack tech staff.
  • OOOPS - When I click "Summary" at top of Discussion Page I get "Page not found." Have Safari browser on a IPad. Closed down browser and cleared cache & cookies. No Cigar.
  • edited September 2012
    no need to post both places - one message will suffice.
    but feel free to make any and all comments.

For Bugs and problems please post at this link.

‣ ‣ ‣ Got a Bug

for general comments and feedback post here just comment or reply in this Announcement,

keep out of the rain ☂
  • Reply to @hank:

should be fixed - let me know - if works for you.
  • What happened to F/L (First/Last) comment? I really liked that!
  • Reply to @Old_Joe:
    Had to remove them they didn't work with the forum embedded in wordpress.
  • Accipiter- You suppose it's possible (without a ridiculous amount of time and work) to trigger a page refresh when using either "Show All" or "Show Unread"?
  • Reply to @Old_Joe:

Here's my logic.

Show all and Show unread is primarily useful if you have unread discussions interspersed throughout the discussion topic page. The toggle allows you to see unread discussions without necessitating a page reload that takes time.

If what you are looking for is seeing the most recent unread discussions they will always be at the top of the page. So just clicking Discussions in the menu bar (which is "the proper way" to reload the discussion page), will show you the most recent unread discussions at the top. Any older unread discussions will still be there whether you clicked unread, read, discussions or any number of things. So in my logic it makes no sense.

In a programming point of view - yes it would be time consuming, so I probably won't mess with it considering....

On a positive note, the next version of vanilla forums (2.1) has a much better unread discussions option. The current unread feature I have written myself, but in Vanilla 2.1, this feature is written by the developers themselves, so one would expect it to perform more seamlessly.

The new version 2.1 will probably be released in beta in a few months, and most like be "stable" a few months after that. So, if and when 2.1 is released and is stable and chip has the time and David has the desire, expect to see a change within 6 months at the earliest.
  • edited September 2012
    Reply to @Accipiter: Make that 6 years. By then I'll be in "the home", so I won't have to worry about it.

:-))
  • Reply to @Old_Joe

I'll come visit, if I am not already there....