Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

As the Euro moves towards parity with USD...Anyone see Opportunity In Euro Funds?

beebee
edited July 2012 in Fund Discussions
Does anyone monitor or compare strong USD-based funds to weakening Euro-based funds as an opportunity to buy Euro based funds/ETFs?

One might consider buying into European based Multinationals that reside in such funds as VGK. The trade might be out of VOO (S&P 500) and into VGK (MSCI Europe)

Today the US dollar is 24% stronger when compared to the Euro from a year ago(see chart linked below):
http://screencast.com/t/PMEUb4wm

Comparing VOO to VGK the same 24 % difference exists (link below):
http://screencast.com/t/p5B6zqxgrr1

Seems like a good trade...sell some VOO (US Equities)...buy some VGK (European Multinationals)

Comments

• Hi Bee,

I established a small position in VGK a week ago based on European valuation. Also notice the decline of Euro since the crisis. Will expand further over the summer from the sale of domestic bond and equity positions.
  • Hi there bee and Sven- I certainly see what you are looking at, but I really don't understand where the profit potential comes in. Wouldn't many of these Multinationals also be listed on the S&P?

For those that are not (ie: Nestle?) I'm not sure what you are thinking here-

Doesn't the Euro-denominated price of an individual stock on the MSCI Europe increase to reflect the lower exchange rate? It would seem to me that the price (value?) of any given large international company would be more influenced by the actual intrinsic value of that company, rather than whatever currency that is calculated in.

Also, I'm sure that you are both looking at all of the various scenarios with respect to the Euro- from total failure to perhaps somewhat of a recovery, and everything in between. How would a VGK purchase (just as an example) at this time play out with respect to that range of possibilities? I can see that the companies themselves are not going to go away, but how do you guys see the potential to make some money here?

I'm thinking that there's something here that is going right by me.

Thanks- OJ
  • edited July 2012
    Howdy,
    This link is for MSCI indexes. You may find a page load with some legal stuff........you know, you won't sell this data to your neighbor, etc. I clicked agree and everything is fine. The data page loads are very fast. I picked around to find this particular page, but there are a lot of things to look at via this site.
    MSCI country/regional data thur yesterday
    Note: When this particular page opens, you will find two boxes above the data lists of YTD and such. You may fiddle with these if you like. I rotated between USD (which is the setting in place) and the Euro. Try this to review the + or - for Europe, in USD or EURO $.

As to whether it might be time to sell U.S. equity to buy Euroland equity; I am not sure all of the value to be had in the future has yet arrived.

Lastly.........ah, poo.........well, I can't find my paper note.........anyway, we know Spain is in deep do-do. One thing to me that is most problematic is that the Spanish 10 yr is at 7.6% or so; but the real bugger I see is the 2 year yield is not far behind in yield. Selling 10 year stuff to run a country is one thing; but if enough folks are not interested in buying the very short term funding at near the same yield............well, I smell deep do-do. UPDATE: found me numbers......Spanish 2 yr note = 6.66% (kinda scary number,eh?) and the 10 year bond = 7.57% as of Tuesday, July 24, 10am.

Just me 2 cents worth.........
    Regards,
    Catch
  • beebee
    edited July 2012
    Reply to @Old_Joe:

Hi OJ,

96.64% of VGK is non-US Equities
    Top 25 Holdings:
    VOO-
    http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/holdings?t=VOO&region=USA&culture=en-us
    VGK-
    http://portfolios.morningstar.com/fund/holdings?t=VGK&region=USA&culture=en-us

I would agree that these companies are not going away anytime soon. I like this as it diversifies my portfolio of global companies.

I have heard that a weak currency often helps exporting. But the set of arguments (linked below) seem to argue the opposite.

Big Business likes a weak currency since a weak currencies often puts the small guy at a disadvantage.

http://bionicmosquito.blogspot.com/2011/06/weak-currency-is-good-for-exports-not.html

No answers here...just some half baked thoughts.

• edited July 2012
    Hey bee- Thanks for pointing out the connection between weak currencies and the potential for improved export numbers... that got by me.

What happens though, if the "weak currency" becomes a "dead currency"? We know that Nestle, for example, will surely survive in the long run- but what are you expecting with respect to the transition period instability? Seems to me that this could be really hard to predict and might vary widely in length and type depending upon exactly which euro-countries the company does major business in.

In addition to which euro-countries the company does major business in, there's also which countries the company has major operations centers in, and which country the company has it's headquarters in. I imagine the HQ country would influence the choice of currency that the company is valued in if the Euro goes away.

I'm envisioning a large multinational with production and/or distribution plants in a number of euro-countries, sales all over the place, and for example, maybe HQ in London. How on earth could anyone sort all of that out before the dust finally settles?
  • edited July 2012
    Any VGK-euro thesis is complicated by the fact that about half the companies in the fund are domiciled in countries that aren't part of Euro-land ... the UK is 35%, Switzerland 12%, a percent in Norway, etc. It's not really a clean play on a thesis of a bottoming euro, if that's the idea.

Also, banks are a big part of VGK, with every uncertainty that entails - finance being the largest single sector in the fund.

However, as I think Bee's written about before, it's been trading in a fairly consistent range for months, so could be played that way as a short-term trade without making a call on a bottom for the euro, the direction of the UK and global economy, etc.
  • edited July 2012
    Reply to @Old_Joe: Nestle is Swiss, so Swiss Franc, but Swiss Franc is pegged to Euro. Nestle will also have to deal with rising input costs. I'd guess Nestle has offices in the US and elsewhere, and has a significant force of people handling currency fluctuations/hedging. Still, making sense of the FX markets has to be a more and more difficult task these days - it seems more like a futile game of musical chairs, where you hope you are in the "right" one at the end of the day, but next week it could be different for some major reason, or even something as simple as a rumor.

The whole weak currency/improved export thing works for a while, but what if you need to import more materials (which are now more expensive) to make the product you sell?

I don't know how people trade FX. Only about 30% of retail Forex trades are profitable (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304665904576384111852016334.html)