Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Inexpensive (smart phone) for cell phone replacement.....your thoughts please

edited July 2012 in Off-Topic
Morn'in Coffee,
Well, the 8 year old Motorola RAZR cell phone has found its end. I have read numerous fix-it discussions for this phone and have torn it down to the bones two times. The phone, with the last teardown has operated for about 2 weeks; but is now back to never-never land.
We use Verizon as our cell phone provider and will remain with them. The best replacement choice will be a middle priced smart phone. For all practical purposes, the phone will have primary use as a plain cell phone.
Might you have a recommendation for choices (models). I always do my homework with this type of purchase; but will base the research upon choices that may be provided here.
Thank you for your time and effort with this.
Regards,
Catch

Comments

• Catch, if you have a G2 cell phone with voice plan only. G3 smartphones would not add much value to serve your basic uses as a phone only. If you add a data plan (additional $$), you can expand the capabilities: connect to the web, check your email, and do banking. When you do use the data plan, be careful with the limit imposed on a monthly basis, and the penalty is steep when you exceed the limit. So it get back to what are your primary uses and how much you willing to pay monthly. For financial transactions we use our home PC exclusively for added security.

Our family use iPhones because we are adopting both Windows and iOS platforms. We considered Android based smartphones, but decided to stay with iPhones and they are well designed.
  • edited July 2012
    Hi Catch
    I've talked to wifey about this. I have computer access to internet at work, and also at home. why you need iphone is beyond my understanding. I understand you can serve the net any where but most of the times I spend are at work and enjoying my family. why you need to be on the net all time???

we do have cheap phones that use text to each other are appropriate.
    personally about 100s-130s dollars + taxes /month for 2 phones are not really worth it. If you do work for a major large companies or governments, they [phone companies] may give you about 10-15% discount [at least this is what they are doing at att]

just my two cents
  • Reply to @johnN:
    You noted: "I've talked to wifey about this. I have computer access to internet at work, and also at home. why you need iphone is beyond my understanding. I understand you can serve the net any where but most of the times I spend are at work and enjoying my family. why you need to be on the net all time???

>>>>> I don't know that the above is just writing what you are thinking outloud or if you directed this towards me. The "you" perhaps was intended to be "one". My original question had nothing to do with being on the net all of the time. But, I presume a smart phone used as a cell phone with the option for other features may be of benefit.

we do have cheap phones that use text to each other are appropriate.
    personally about 100s-130s dollars + taxes /month for 2 phones are not really worth it.

>>>>> You didn't note a vendor name (phone) or plan for your phones; so I didn't gain any knowledge from this portion.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22:
    Hi Catch
    You are perfectly right. some of the smart phone have many features and are very 'smart'. What are your thoughts about getting ipads? these are little more money but much worth it, better than lap tops/cell phones or pc. You probably can get google voice or msn messenger voice on ipads [google.com/voice] and use it as a cell phone, but be careful because google may records your conversations.

• Reply to @johnN:
    You noted:
    "What are your thoughts about getting ipads? these are little more money but much worth it, better than lap tops/cell phones or pc."
    >>>>> Our daughter will likely get an Ipad for use with school; as this environment is changing rapidly. Mom and Dad will remain with cell phones; perhaps of the Smart variety. I suppose one may consider an Ipad better than a laptop depending upon ones needs. But, I won't buy an Ipad type device today thinking it would replace this laptop I am using to write this.
    Thanks,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22: It appeared that John's reply is directed to me instead. What I posted are options you may wish to consider. If you primary use are phone calls and text messaging, getting a data plan on top of a voice plan added no value.

With respect to Verizon's smartphones, you may wish to check out the website below for customer review.
    http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/reviews.php?c=2

Previously we had simple G2 LG clamshell phones for a number of years that serve our purposes well enough. Personally battery life is the number one consideration plus ease of use. Middle of the road model would do the job without paying $200 or more. Today our phone choice was made by my spouse.

I think you will find smartphones are considerably easier to navigate between various functions and they also store music as well. Whenever you are in free wifi locations (coffee shops and airports), you can surf the web using the phone's wifi capability.

Good luck.

• Hi Sven,
    Thank you for your notes. The wifi aspect of the smart phones do add value, in my opinion, too. And we all know wifi is just about everywhere today.
    I will check your link; and I always look for discussion forums to get clues about what folk do or do not like about a product.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22: Here is a discussion forum I found from Google on cell phones in general. Please give it a try.

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/36-General-Mobile-Discussion-Forums

Several years ago my wife decided we should give iPhone a try and we like it. She has the the latest model and get the use the full capabilities, while I am happy with iPhone2 for what I use it for.

Fair to say for all smartphones, the large LCD display and their search capabilities will consume battery life. Ours last 2 to 3 days max before recharging. That is about half the life comparing to our old clamshell phones. As long as you are aware of it, you won't be disappointed.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply to @Maurice: Count me in the club. I am still on an 7 year old Motorola Razr phone (T-Mobile). My Razr is now on 3nd battery with 2 cheap battery purchases from Amazon.

My wife and I had these phone in a family plan, when her ear speaker died 3 years ago, she switched to Blackberry Perl clamshell (free upgrade) and when the battery of that phone stopped charging, she wanted to upgrade to a Smart Phone. So, she got Samsung Galaxy II phone and is happy with her. As is customary with Smart Phone plans, she has to subscribe to data plan as well. So, her cost is higher but she is using the data function.

We did split the family shared plan when she got smart phone in May. Now she is on an individual plan and I am on a pay-as-you-go plan that provides 1500 mins/texts per mont for $30/mo. That is a great deal if you only want text and talk. I decided to hold on until iPhone 5 is out. If T-Mobile decides not to provide iPhone when the time comes this fall, I will probably will switch phone company after about 10 years with them. I want iPhone as I use iTunes and my music, podcast and apps are better integrated in iPhone.
  • Reply to @catch22: If you get a smart phone from phone companies, typically they come with a contract of 2 years and you have to subscribe to data service as well to covert the subsidy they are providing for the cost of the phone. Sometimes phone companies provide the older versions that they are liquidating without data contract. So, look for those phones. You can also buy the phone from overstock.com or ebay and have phone company to activate it without data but check with your phone company first.
  • edited July 2012
    Reply to @catch22: Hi Catch. Don't know much about this - but that's never stopped me from offering an opinion. Agree with most of what John says. We hate recurring monthly charges & their cumulative effect on the household budget, so one goal is always to minimize these. Also, still keep a land line at the home, so that makes our take on this perhaps different from some others. A simple trac-fone for traveling and a few hundred minutes prepaid time lasts us a year & costs roughly $100 with their "double your minutes" card. For INet on-the-go we prefer the IPad with both wi-fi & cellular connectivity. Our 2GB - 3G plan costs $25 a month and the app is built right into the device. No long term commitment & no dealings with the cuss service reps. $35 a month gets you an extra GB if needed. Darned If I can understand the smart phone appeal other than the small size and reduced weight. One thing about smart phones I do know is that many can actually serve as a portable wi-fi "hot spot" by converting the cellular broadband signal they receive into a wi-fi signal that your laptop or other wi-fi enabled devices can use. Nifty if you need it. We tried one for that purpose and found we couldn't navigate the net as well as what the IPad does with a direct 3G connection. FWIW & happy shopping.

• Reply to @Maurice: Good morning Mo. Have you thought about trying a store that sells mostly batteries? Maybe your local doesn't have this type of business.
    Derf
  • edited July 2012
    Reply to @Maurice:

Mo, $30, 1500 mins talk or text plan is still available if you convert to pre-paid on T-Mobile. I've set up auto-recharge with credit card so it is painless to use and since I don't have a contract I can drop them if they do not offer iPhone 5 when it is released.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Actually they do have two $30 plans. One has little data (which I have but not use any data on my dumb phone) and other is little voice and unlimited text and data (which is suitable for younger generations which does not talk but text and data extensively).

As for batteries, they are hit and miss. You can buy them cheap as low as a couple of dollars which would otherwise cost you $25-30 from the store. So, you can afford to buy a few and try your luck. I've bought batteries for Motorola Razr and Blackberry and while they do not last as good as original they are OK for the price.

For Amazon returns do not bother communicating with the vendor. File a return with Amazon and reason of return claim dead battery on arrival. Amazon forces these shops to get the return item and credits you or otherwise they can no longer sell at Amazon (Amazon holds some of their money to cover for these issues)
  • If you don't mind 2 year contract, you can still get iPhone 3GS for 99 cents I think. Can't get cheaper than that. Get the $20 3GB data plan with it. Only kids can possibly exceed that limit, and even if you do, the penalty is only $15, totally what you would pay about for unlimited data plan.
  • Reply to @catch22: Hi catch I believe w/ ATT [or other big phone companies] you can 'test drive' the phone for ~3-4 wks and return it. You just have to pay that ~ few weeks fees and not sign the long term contract. You may consider giving this a try but it could be a hassel to try to cancel the phone/bring the phone back to dealer or mail it back to ATT.
    regards
  • Back when I was wrestling with just this same question I found it helpful to check the latest Consumer Reports issue on cell phones and cell phone "plans". If nothing else it made me aware of a number of plan options outside the big 3 (Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile). However, many of the optional plans may only be viable if you live in or near major metropolitan areas.

Like others have mentioned it all boils down to what exactly you want the phone for "and" where you will be using it most often. A state of the art 4G something or other won't do you much good if you spend a lot of time in the boonies and hinterlands as I do. They're sweet if you're cruising a big city but 25 miles away in the sticks I get sporadic reception.

I'm with Verizon and use an iPhone 4s. In my neighborhood VZ provides the only reliable connection in the back country which is why I keep them as my carrier even though there are cheaper options if I just stay home. I chose the iPhone for enhanced integration with my laptop (MacBook), iPad and things Investor mentioned. For this old man there were just too many things to remember trying to make Android phones and the other toys play nice together. Don't get me wrong I still have trouble, but when I do I just hand everything over to my 2-yr old grandson and he sorts it all out for Bampa.

In summary I would say to decide on which carrier works for your primary location and purposes and then choose the phone. If you'd like toput off that decision go on Ebay, plug in your current model phone and see if there are any for sale. I did that 4-years ago when I drove over my last LG something or other and got a slightly used exact duplicate.
  • Reply to @Mark:
    You noted: "In summary I would say to decide on which carrier works for your primary location and purposes and then choose the phone. If you'd like toput off that decision go on Ebay, plug in your current model phone and see if there are any for sale."
    >>>>> I am going to check ebay, too. Have been a seller there since 1997;and most familiar with the site. If I can find a RAZR that is acceptable for condition; I may do this and place my phone's SIM into that phone.
    We will remain with Verizon; as coverage is excellent in many places in MI and we also have a large number of friends and family with Verizon, which lets us call one another without charges/minutes reduced for everyone's plans.
    Thank you, Mark.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • Reply to @johnN:
    Howdy, thank you for this note. May check this, too. We will likely remain with Verizon; as coverage is excellent in many places in MI (and everywhere) and we also have a large number of friends and family with Verizon, which lets us call one another without charges/minutes reduced for everyone's plans.
    Take care,
    Catch
  • Hi folks,

We just went with Consumer Cellular and got their one and only smart offering - a Motorola Bravo. It's OK for cheapskates and the digitally challenged (like the kid). Gee, we only switched over this past May as our contract expired with MaBell but I got wifey an IPad at the same time. I'm starting to make the switch to the Light Side and the IPad is my first serious move.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono