Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Sen. Warren, Equifax bill to launch industry probe, 2 exec's. retire; only 90 day fraud alert

edited September 2017 in Off-Topic
Yes, I am aware of the earlier thread about this area; but placed this link for what is perhaps a next level into this "rotten" circumstance.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-equifax-cyber-warren/senator-warren-introduces-equifax-bill-launches-industry-probe-idUSKCN1BQ16B

Regards,
Catch

Comments

• @ catch22:: I don't know which is worse, nut job Warren, or the over- hyped Equifax story !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Hi @Ted
    Hoping you and yours, including everyone you know with kindness; friends, family and whomever else, do not find their financial arses in a sling or impaired otherwise by any possible ramifications from the Equifax breach.
    OR the other possibility is that you and yours as defined above may take whatever actions deemed necessary to be ever more powerful in correcting the wrongs than those in higher positions in the Federal government, including any related agencies.
    I wish you and yours nothing but pure bliss for the remainder of your time on this third rock from the sun.
    Sincerely,
    Catch
  • @catch: "I wish you and yours nothing but pure bliss for the remainder of your time on this third rock from the sun.": Back at you catch, but it still remains that Warren is still a nut job, and the Equifax story is over-hyped !!
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Top brass selling stock or options before hacking came to the general public is B.S. !
    Happy weekend to all,
    Derf
  • @Derf- B.S. as in it didn't happen, or B.S. that it did?
  • edited September 2017
    Hi Ted... thought you were hard core democrst lol... Warren is Indian you know. She will be our next president
  • @johnN

I'll be darned! It took about 10 years to discover that you have a pretty good sense of humor!
  • Why do you feel that the Equifax story is over-hyped Ted? Or maybe, why don't you think that it's an important story?
  • Hi @Mark
    Perhaps during the early hours of Saturday you may receive a well written explanation/reply from @Ted ,eh?
  • edited September 2017
    @Ted Yes and who's a popular U.S. senator, potential presidential candidate and respected legal scholar who's taught at Harvard and who's a cranky guy that posts stories about mutual funds at 4:41 A.M. and is so obsessed with this site that if anyone else starts more discussions than him he threatens them with torture and banishment, histrionic all caps, exclamation points and endless frowny faces?
  • Add: Two Equifax executives "retire" .....

Chief Security Officer studied music composition in university and no "security" background.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/equifax-executives-step-down-scrutiny-intensifies-credit-bureaus-n801706
  • Two factor authentication and why only a 90 day policy for credit fraud?

https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/17/the-learned-helplessness-of-equifax/?ncid=mobilenavtrend
  • edited September 2017
    Speaking as a cybersecurity professional (20 years)[1] and now an academic, I can most certainly report the Equifax incident is *not* being over-hyped. This is a massive failure on several levels plus demonstrable incompetence by the Equifax IT organisation. Coupled with the fact that Equifax and its ilk serve as the basis for companies/banks/employers to determine a person's suitability, trust, and fiscal integrity, and that over 140 MILLION were impacted, yeah ... this is a first-rate fiasco.

I've got an article likely coming out this week on the matter, and I'll post a link here when it does.

[1] Earlier in life as a CSO I successfully coordinated incident responses on events that shut down and/or affected large swaths of the internet, so I'm not speaking lightly here. I've truly been there done that and thankfully we did a good job when we had to.
  • edited September 2017
    By contrast, THIS is an over-hyped story. I do not hold a formal CS or computing degree despite a successful career in the IT/cyber industry. Neither do many of those I learned from along the way. Heck, the best person on my team back then had just graduated w/a degree in forest science, but his self-learned securitygeekery-fu was truly staggering.

That said, while the degree discipline frequently is meaningless to everything but HR OCR resume screening systems, I do agree that one needs to have an appropriate background in the field and for the level one his hired into.
    catch22 said:

Add: Two Equifax executives "retire" .....

Chief Security Officer studied music composition in university and no "security" background.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/equifax-executives-step-down-scrutiny-intensifies-credit-bureaus-n801706

• edited September 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Mark: Well, seems like Ted isn't going to answer you, so I'll take a stab at it. Ted sits there smugly in his comfy cocoon surrounded by large amounts of money... sort of like Scrooge McDuck. He knows that he has no worries about his credit... hell, he doesn't even need credit. Therefore the situation is of no interest or importance, because he is not directly affected.