Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bad day. Which of your funds held up the best?

Yes, it's just one day (10 August, 2017.) But on a day like today, funds NOT in free-fall may just have some built-in positive characteristics that would make them a worthy consideration for other investors. MY int'l bond fund, PRSNX, was FLAT on the day. Other than that, PREMX (EM bonds) was down by -.32% and next in line were my balanced funds--- MAPOX (-.7%) and PRWCX (-.73%.) Although I don't own it, I see DODIX was UP by a penny.

Comments

• My winner today was VPU. Vanguard Utilities. Up .25%
    My loser was PGX. Preferred Stocks. Down .79% I think. Meaningful only for conversation.
  • says who?
  • @Crash."it's just one day." And in the end,,,,, we are all dead.
  • AMHIX, TAFTX and PTIAX. All bonds, of course.
  • IOFIX and FSICX ... 0%.

Perfect alt fund ... never loses money (on up or down market days), but provides some amount of positive return on up market days.

Terminal alt fund ... loses money on up market days.
  • XLU, another utilities fund and my choice for summer seasonal rotation, was my winner at +.0.32%. Of the more diversified funds, OBIOX only lost 0.56% and MEASX was close behind losing 0.62%. At the other end were my healthcare funds, ugh!, with HQL losing an astounding 4.33% and PRHSX losing a far better but still bad 2.09%.

Cash was the best choice of size for me with 20% of my IRA worth just as much today as it was yesterday. I guess it will be the same today and tomorrow and ...:)
  • Like everyone else, only the bond funds held up with flat to <0.1% loss; PONDX, PFIDX, MAINX, PRSNX. Don't own any alt funds. Not my cup of tea, but they would be the interesting ones to watch.

But in reality a pull back now, whatever the catalyst, isn't a bad thing. If it wasn't the Korean conflict it would be something else.
  • @MFO Members; This is all well and good, but just remember investing is a marathon not a sprint.
    Regards,
    ted
  • VWINX down 0.26%, illustrating it's value in a portfolio.
  • edited August 2017
    Ditto what Ted said. As stated before, I find watching funds and sectors mildly amusing - perhaps even educational. Rarely buy or sell, so that's not much of a consideration.

Three I track: HSGFX gained 1.23%, but is still firmly in the ash-heap for the year. DSENX, a board favorite, lost 1.48% - which ain't bad. PRGMX (Ginny Mae) held flat. Am surprised it didn't gain.

Mine overall (includes cash) lost .41% - better than my benchmark TRRIX which fell .58%. That's about what I'd expect, having been in defensive mode for awhile. Gainers were 3 income funds DODIX, RPSIX, PRFHX and also a gold fund, OPGSX. Notable was PRPFX which lost just .25%.

Like Faulkner, I sense this is all sound and fury - signifying nothing. Get a couple back to back 500-point down-days in the Dow and many will consider cutting and running. Followed the markets for 50 years and can tell you that's the way it always goes.
    -

@Crash - Re "Bad day" ... Surely you jest!

(But good to see you back:))
  • Old_Joe said:

AMHIX, TAFTX and PTIAX. All bonds, of course.

Already have prospectus and application for PTIAX. Will be into that one shortly.