Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Tax Experts: Questions on PLC

edited July 2017 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• FWIW - all companies listed on the London Stock Exchange are PLC's - Publicly Limited Companies. This is distinct from and not related to US listed LLC's.

I AM NOT A TAX EXPERT!

As you are well aware the IRS wants their money. When I hold a foreign entity in my taxable brokerage account the dividend payments I receive are reduced by the percentage amount of the foreign tax rate. You may/may not get this back as a foreign tax credit at tax filing time depending on all the usual tax nonsense.

In my IRA account (at Fidelity at least) they do not withhold the tax and all declared dividends are added to my balance.

This article may be of some use:
    http://www.dividend.com/dividend-education/everything-investors-need-to-know-about-foreign-dividend-stocks/
  • I'll bet that @msf can help. Haven't found much that he doesn't know.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @OJ - ain't it the truth.
  • Actually this is something I'd be guessing at - call it intelligent guessing, but still nothing I could say with 100% certainty.

@Mark looks like he's right on the money - that's my understanding as well about PLC - sort of like Corp. in US. That seems to say that there's no especially complex tax stuff like K-1s.

Note that the particular security is an ADR. In essence, a custodian holds shares of Dutch Shell PLC, and you're buying shares of what's essentially a safe deposit box of those shares. My guess is that this doesn't change anything in terms of taxes.