Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

In God We Trust

Enjoy !
Regards,
Ted
>
>> "Hello! Gordon's pizza?"
>>
>>
>> -No sir this is Google's pizza.-
>>
>> "Sorry, I must have dialed a wrong number?"
>>
>> -No sir, Google bought out Gordon's Pizza a short while ago.-
>>
>> "OK. Take my order please."
>>
>> -OK sir, would you like your usual?-
>>
>> "The usual? You know me?"
>>
>> -According to our caller-ID database, your last 12 orders were for pizza with cheese and sausage toppings, thick crust and crisp.-
>>
>> "OK! That's it..."
>>
>> -May I suggest this time you add ricotta, arugula with sun-dried tomato toppings?-
>>
>> "What? I hate vegetables!"
>>
>> -Your cholesterol is not good, sir.-
>>
>> "How do you know that?"
>>
>> -We cross-matched your phone number with your name and your online medical portal. We have the result of your blood tests for the past 7 years.-
>>
>> "Okay, but I do not want those toppings, I already take medicine ..."
>>
>> -Excuse me, but you have not taken your medicine regularly. We can see from our database, 4 months ago, you only purchased a box with 30 cholesterol tablets at CVS.-
>>
>> "I bought more from another pharmacy."
>>
>> -Such a transaction is not showing in your credit card account.-
>>
>> "I paid in cash."
>>
>> -But you did not withdraw that much cash according to your recent bank statement.-
>>
>> "I have another source of cash."
>>
>> -That is not showing as per your latest tax return unless you obtained it from an undeclared income source.-
>>
>> "WHAT THE....."
>>
>> -I'm sorry, sir, we use such information only with the intention of helping you.-
>>
>> "Enough! I'm sick of Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp. I'm going to an island without internet, cable TV, where there is no cell phone service, and no one to spy on me."
>>
>> -I understand sir but you'll need to renew your passport first as it expired 6 weeks ago!-
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

Comments

• MJG
    edited June 2017
    Hi Ted,

Thanks for this little vignette. It is worrisome because it hits so close to home. Far too many folks know far too much about us. There is great potential for harm. Privacy has all but disappeared.

Your story is funny, but in a larger way, it's scary times trouble squared. That.'s just the mathematics in me.

Keep up your terrific, time consuming work for MFOers. I owe you many thanks over a long timeframe.

Best Regards
  • "It is worrisome because it hits so close to home."

Exactly. Many years ago I decided to avoid Google to the extent possible, as it was evident even then that they had the potential capability to accumulate an extensive personal file on almost anyone. I'm sure than I've been relatively unsuccessful, and that they have undoubtedly managed to collect reams of info regardless of my pathetic attempt to avoid them. At least I may have made it a bit harder for them. I don't like or trust Google whatsoever... they are positively scary.
  • @Old_Joe: "The only thing you have to fear, is fear itself"---FDR
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted- FDR might not have been so sanguine had Google been extant.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Maurice: You mean like this !!
    Regards,
    Ted
    Bob Seger: Fire Down Below::
  • @Ted- For shame! Disrespectful of women and all that stuff.
  • you got your fires and your openings mixed up, jeez
  • That's a great song!
  • A truly great song, to my mind, but that video sure is benighted, as though it's fundamentally about prostitution.
  • agreed.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.