Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Rondure Funds now open

edited May 2017 in Fund Discussions
http://www.rondureglobal.com/documents/rondureglobal-pr-20170501.pdf

I was thinking on the overlap of the RONDURE NEW WORLD FUND (RNWOX) and GRANDEUR PEAK EMERGING MARKETS OPPORTUNITIES FUND (GPEOX).

Full Disclosure: I own SFGIX and GPEOX

Comments

• GPEOX = predominantly small-micro (<$5 billion)
    RNWOX = all-cap (> $1.5 billion)

May be some, but GP also seeks higher growth than Rondure, supposedly.

• if they are available at schwab/scottrade, nothing wrong buying $100 worth and sleeping over it. Not sure if these funds will attract assets and close in a jiffy like the GP funds
  • I've got SFGIX and GPEOX too, but bought some of RNWOX today anyway. After a few years I can always drop one of them, but by then it might be too late to buy in.
  • I'll ask Ms. Geritz as soon as I'm able (she's agreed to chat by we're playing schedule-tag) but I'd imagine that the higher average market cap will translate into a noticeably higher strategy capacity.
  • billr said:

I've got SFGIX and GPEOX too, but bought some of RNWOX today anyway. After a few years I can always drop one of them, but by then it might be too late to buy in.

Like I said...$100 if possible to get a toe in.
  • Is it available in a MF supermarket?
  • Rondure funds are not yet available at Fidelity, T. Rowe Price and Vanguard.
  • @MFO Members: Article from Mutual Fund Wire.Com
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.mfwire.com/common/artprint2007.asp?storyID=56114&wireid=2
  • Vanguard later this month.
  • I guess I'm in the minority here, but I will never understand this toe-hold thing. Shouldn't any fund you buy have a purpose in an over-all return portfolio? Shouldn't the question be do I need (or don't need) this fund to strengthen my total return and hopefully balance portfolio risk... and am I making a $-amount investment that will contribute to the over-all return? Wouldn't you ask yourself is this new fund a better fit than what I already own, for whatever your reasons you choose - replacement? Just not getting the toe-hold thing.

• It'll be interesting to see how much of a difference there really is between these and the Stalwarts funds.
  • @MikeM2

Both funds and classes are available at TD with a 2K minimum. The N shares have no TF, but the I shares come with a TF of $49.99 unless one has a pricing agreement with TD for a lower TF -- in my case $17.99. I will be holding the I class of both funds at Rondure with the option to use DCA if I wish at TD as opportunities become available.

Also, for what interest it holds, TD shows an additional purchase fee for ROSIX of 2% but not for RNWIX. I asked the TD mutual fund department to confirm that, and they said that the 2% fee was in error and will be removed at the end of market today.

As always,

openice
  • Relax folks. Grandeur. Rondure. Let's not get excessively Fondure. Hurry up slowly.
  • @VintageFreak: For once your right, no make that twice !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • openice said:

@MikeM2

Both funds and classes are available at TD with a 2K minimum. The N shares have no TF, but the I shares come with a TF of $49.99 unless one has a pricing agreement with TD for a lower TF -- in my case $17.99. I will be holding the I class of both funds at Rondure with the option to use DCA if I wish at TD as opportunities become available.

Also, for what interest it holds, TD shows an additional purchase fee for ROSIX of 2% but not for RNWIX. I asked the TD mutual fund department to confirm that, and they said that the 2% fee was in error and will be removed at the end of market today.

As always,

openice

How did you finagle a different pricing agreement with TD?
  • @JoJo26

He may have been a Think or Swim customer. When TSA and TOS merged, many new TSA customers were granted the trade rate offered by TOS on their accounts. TDA did that with one of my TOS accounts.
  • JoJo26
    How did you finagle a different pricing agreement with TD?
    Hi!

No finagle.

TD made it available when I brought over my assets to them in March primarily from Scottrade but also from Fido and Schwab.

So yes, I am able to purchase TF funds at a reduced rate.

Be well.
  • I'm intrigued by the new Rondure funds but hesitant to invest because of the severe downturns that occurred in the Wasatch funds she managed. I have sent an email message to Rondure asking if there are any safeguards in place to minimize the same thing happening in the new funds.
  • @Ben: " I have sent an email message to Rondure asking if there are any safeguards in place to minimize the same thing happening in the new funds." Ben,the only sure thing in life are death and taxes.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Quite so, Ted. But I was asking about tendencies, not certainties. I did not loose very much in the stock portion of my portfolio after the big market downturns of the past few decades because for the most part I had avoided investing in the high flyers that fell so far. A fund manager can do the equivalent. For instance a portion (say 15% ) of assets may be kept in cash at such times as a downturn seems inevitable. I know Rondure is bottom up style in its stock picking but sometimes you don't need to be a meteorologist to see a storm coming. Also although past positive performance is no predicator of future gains, past losses may possibly tell a bit more. (Or not). Anyway, thank you for responding, I appreciate it.
  • @Ben - My 2 cents. IT is the timing of the fund opening. International / Emerging are likely to do better than US in the next few years - seems to be the general consensus.

Grandeur timed their launches well. Rondure probably has too. I'm okay buying with a tight stop as long as they are NTF. One does not have to suffer extended downturns, and frankly I abhor anyone calling one who sells a "trader".

The only funds I buy and hold are the "eponymous" go anywhere variety, and even those I will time my entries. Just my 2 cents.
  • Just curious... Why do you emphasize so much on timing of buying a fund based on Int'l/EM expected to outperform US? That has no bearing on how the fund manager will do (alpha). It is entirely based on the market (beta) returns.....
  • I received a reply to my query, on the same day I asked. It was thoughtful and complete and useful. I am impressed. If anyone wants to know the content of the reply, just say so and I will post it here.
  • Please post:)
  • Here is the relevant part. I was going to paraphrase but I think I'll quote and I hope nobody minds.

....there is certainly risk in the markets and stocks in which Laura invests, particularly in the New World Fund focused on Emerging and Frontier markets. To help lessen the risk Laura is doing three things in the Rondure Funds:
    1) seeking what she believes are very high quality companies where the company risk is lower
    2) investing across the cap spectrum in "core" companies (i.e. less focused on high growth, higher risk companies, and instead looking for strong, more stable companies, and
    3) trying to match position size with risk -- taking smaller positions in companies and/or markets where she believes there is higher risk.

Because of this focus, she really hopes to provide some downside protection in bear markets, while delivering solid long-term results. That said, I would expect her funds to likely decline in down markets, and experience volatility like equity markets typically experience.

In short there is unlikely to be a repeat of a Sequoia/ Valiant situation, but in the event of a worldwide downturn Rondure funds will not be exempt.
  • I was going to pass on Rondure, but I decided to take a position in the Overseas fund. The fund symbol ROSOX was the clincher (wry smile). I did very well investing early with the boys at Grandeur Peak, but trimmed my positions eventually. I did not want more EM or more international micro or small, so larger cap global works for me.
  • The name "Rosox" appeals because.....? It sounds like a baseball team? Like the Red Sox but it's the Ro Sox?
  • BenWP said:

I was going to pass on Rondure, but I decided to take a position in the Overseas fund. The fund symbol ROSOX was the clincher (wry smile). I did very well investing early with the boys at Grandeur Peak, but trimmed my positions eventually. I did not want more EM or more international micro or small, so larger cap global works for me.

The fund is not "global"
  • My bad, to quote the late Minute Bol. Almost everybody knows the fund is international.
  • @BenWP

Why did you purchase the retail class instead of the institutional class? I thought you could buy either class for $2K?