Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Anybody buying gold today?

edited June 2012 in Off-Topic
Down about $50

Comments

• Should be interesting to watch Permanent Portfolio PRPFX and Marketfield MFLDX.
  • edited June 2012
    Buying a little more mining stock ETF. Interesting the timing of gold going down today. Not gold-related, but resource/real asset-related also adding a little more to Cohen and Steers Real Assets Z - RAPZX. I'm also looking at Canadian oil (mainly the heavy dividend paying former royalty companies and some others) and Australian ag companies (individual). I can be negative about the long-term, but I think there's a fair amount that I like. Brookfield Infrastructure (BIP) continues to do well, but not adding any more at this point.
  • edited June 2012
    Reply to @Old_Joe: OJ - Ya know how to hurt a guy! PRPFX down .77 today. (Looks like the gold funds lost around 3%.) As you may know, I dove into PRPFX in April. Down over 5% since than. Since I considered gold "bubbly" at $1,000, this may not have been my brightest idea. (-:
  • edited June 2012
    Reply to @hank: Yeah, tell me. Story of my investment life. Only reason I mentioned PRPFX is because I'm watching that too... hope to get in when & if things settle down a little.

If I recall correctly Scott believes that MFLDX is shorting gold, so I would have thought that should have gone up today, but nothing. Who knows...
  • edited June 2012
    Reply to @Old_Joe: Marketfield is, by all indications, short gold and possibly still silver. I was a tad surprised that the fund didn't follow the move in the metals today as well. It won't give short position details,but the monthly letter for the fund is probably going to be available within the week or so and may give some general details on what the fund is doing.
  • edited June 2012
    Reply to @Old_Joe: ... No problem - had it been intentional, I'm more than deserving after some of the static I've given out. As an "alternative investment", the fund is expected to be outa step at times. However, my luck with these "alternative" types has been lousy. Maybe more of a meat and potatoes fella - if that makes any sense.
  • Thanks for your discussion on MFLDX, looks interesting and has a great track record. I am going to give it a try!
  • Reply to @maize: It's a unique fund - there's nothing quite like it. It's done well and it's extremely flexible. That said, it requires the fund making the right macro bets like anything else. It's definitely a fund that I would recommend as a unique supporting player.
  • edited June 2012
    still 80% stocks/20% bonds, mostly in ETFs/indexing approach. Ted stated that he has ~5% in cash. Just sitting here doin' nothing [waiting for the sky to fall so I can buy more]. still get about 20++ yrs left so no worries

I was thinkin of jumpin into more prpfx but decided to wait, if another QE3 takes place, probably would get more gold

I just bought another private muni bond just a few days ago, yielding 6% for 20+ yrs so it was ok, [oaklahoosa arpt in florida]

there's nothing consider 'safe' out there anymore