Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Personal Info Document, go ahead, have a copy....let us know of additions/improvements

edited April 2017 in Off-Topic
Morn'in Folks,

I posted this before, but don't recall if here or at FundAlarm. The below is a WORD document we put together about 12 years ago, to replace older paper documents, for reference by our immediate family and other trusted family members. We maintain both a paper copy, safely secured/hidden in the house and a "password" protected electronic copy in a memory stick. In the event of a catastrophic event, that would cause mental impairment or death; our immediate family will have access to all pertinent data; as well as other family members who would have access via their own password protected, electronic copy. We also used this form for Mother and MIL. Aside from the subject areas in CAPS in the form, and suggested minimum information, we typed within a subject area to detail any additional, related thoughts.
Tis surprising, sometimes; when asking about information and one receives the "that's a good thing to know". An example is documenting a non-driver I.D. card number issued by the state or where are all of those original documents.
Obviously, this document listing may be modified to suit one's needs.
The original document below was first set thinking about subject areas. We have since shuffled the "order" of the list to clump related subjects.
Let us know about any additions/improvements and suggestions.
Perform the highlight of the below and then copy/paste into WORD or whatever document form you use. You may then modify the document to suit your current needs and be set to adjust as needed into the future.

Regards,
Catch

___________________________________________________________________________________

PERSONAL INFO FOR (NAMES)

UPDATED/EFFECTIVE DATE =

NOTE !!!!! The below listings would be used in conjunction with any of the following legal forms that should be established for and by you for yourself, spouse and family members:
WILL, TRUST (there are many trust styles; i.e., revocable living trust, irrevocable, etc.) GENERAL POWER OF ATTORNEY, DURABLE POWER OF ATTORNEY FOR PROPERTY AND MONIES, LIVING WILL AND/OR DURABLE POWER OF ATTORNEY FOR HEALTH CARE and HIPAA authorization and release form (allowing release of pertinent private medical information to authorized persons)

SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS:
*** full legal name, ssn#

DRIVER LICENSE #’S:
*** full legal name

HEALTH/DENTAL INSURANCE; names, policy type & numbers, contact phone #’s

MEDICARE, MEDICAID OR OTHER FEDERAL OR STATE RELATED
***relative information for any of these or related documents/forms

CREDIT CARDS:
*** issuers, card numbers, their phone #’s, etc.

INSURANCE POLICIES:
-home
-auto
-life
-other

RECIPIENT/BENEFICIARY MONIES FROM OTHERS OR A BUSINESS:
-are you listed in someone’s will/trust/business agreement that should be documented here?

PERSONAL AND REAL PROPERTY:

-real estate, cars, and personal property (collections, artwork, boats, jet skis and anything else one considers that others need to be aware of.
ALSO indicate as to what property is PAID IN FULL and OWNED

LIABILITIES:

-home mortgage
-home equity loans
-auto loans
-all other monies owed to a third party
* provide all pertinent information regarding these liabilities: what, where, who, etc.

PERSONAL RETIREMENT ACCOUNTS:

401K, 403B, 457, IRA’S, COMPANY PENSION PLAN:
*vested company pension plans may be set with a spousal/beneficiary statement

CHILD/CHILDREN ACCTS (EDUCATIONAL, 529, SAVINGS, ETC.):

ANNUITIES:

BROKERAGE/STOCK/MUTUAL FUND ACCTs:

Note: contact info…phone numbers, acct numbers, etc.

CHECKING/SAVING ACCOUNTS: organization, acct. #’s, contact names/phone #’s
Note: whose names are on the accounts???

SAFE DEPOSIT BOX: location & box number
NOTE…..who has a signed contract for access and who has a key

PASSWORDS: home pc, pc documents, all online accounts

DOCUMENTS LOCATION (physical papers, etc.):
NOTE……indicate where these “original” documents are located
-check book, payment books (house payment, home equity, etc.)
-will, trust, power of attorney, living/medical will, guardianship (child)
-house deed/title
-auto titles
-cemetery plot/ownership documents
-IRS/State, previous tax year filings
-passports
-birth, marriage & related documents
-business/work required license

PHYSICIAN/DENTIST & related:

-preferred medical doctors and facility, all phone numbers and related

-daily medications list
-drug allergies
-allergies
-blood type
-immunizations
-brief medical history

EMPLOYER CONTACT INFO:
-contact info, names and phone numbers
-human resources
-coworkers

CHILD’S SCHOOL & RELATED CONTACT INFO:

FAMILY/FRIEND CONTACT INFO (email, phone/mailing address):

CPA, ATTORNEY & related:

MEMBERSHIPS, SUBSCRIPTIONS (publications, societies, etc.):

LIST OF USUAL MONTHLY BILLS (phone, utilities, cable tv, etc.)
-WHEN and how are recurring payments made? Electronic or paper check

PETS (local vet contact info):
-instructions regarding pet(s), upon owner impairment or death

GENERAL COMMENTS & INSTRUCTIONS related to this info listing:

Comments

• @catch22: Thanks !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • While it is not free and is not "crowd" created, I have entrusted all the info Catch suggests to the Kiplinger organizer:
    https://store.kiplinger.com/family_records_organizer_download.html

I, too, have been met with "glad you're doing that, good to know" roll of the eyes. In 1993, when my dad died, I remembered he had told me of a life insurance policy he had for burial expenses. Sure enough, we found it in his desk and cashed it in. I was the only one of four siblings who had received this info, which is my point. I was in town for the memorial service and not the executor, so it was happenstance that I remembered. I'm sure worse things have happened to survivors, even when there is a will and estate planning took place. Can't agree more with centralizing the data and telling the family how to get at it. One challenge is the constant requirement to change passwords; I have not been good at updating my Kiplinger organizer and now am grateful for the reminder.
  • edited April 2017
    Hi @BenWP
    Thank you for the Kiplinger link. I see the "add to cart" for the various other documents; and the 16 add ons ($2.99 each), plus the base package cost is $67.79. Very inexpensive considering the possible turmoil during an emotional period when the information is needed and perhaps no more costly than the price of 2 parents and 2 kids having supper at a restaurant.
    Regardless, the description of the contents of the various packages allows one to "think" about various inclusions into such a document(s) as discussed here; and to help create a "build your own" document.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @catch22: You get the whole enchilada for $20, all forms are included. They are flexible and permit customization.
  • @Maurice: I'm no shill, but Dashlane is a heck of good password manager.