Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Matthews Funds - Why Invest in Asia? - Robert Horrock commentary

From Matthews Funds' March Perspective Piece:
I’ve been grappling with the recent political changes in the U.S. and
wondering whether they demand a radical rethink of investment strategy.
I have come to the conclusion that the answer is no. The current climate
feels like one of confrontation—and why invest in Asia in this age of
confrontation? It’s easy to get sucked into the political climate and forget
the fundamental facts of economic growth. So, although political parties in
Europe, the U.K. and the U.S. seem particularly polarized—with nationalism,
anti-immigration, protectionism and mercantilism still dominant themes in
attracting votes—there are some things that these trends can’t change, such as
Asia’s savings, productivity and growth.
Article:
https://matthewsasia.com/resources/docs/pdf/Perspectives/US-AgeOfConfrontation-Mar-17.pdf

Comments

• edited March 2017
    Good one, Bee; haven't read a lot of Matthews commentary lately. (Have stayed invested with them, tho.)
  • I've been contemplating investing in their Asia Value fund.
  • edited March 2017

I've been contemplating investing in their Asia Value fund.

That's where my M. $ is now.
  • Have to say I'm like @AndyJ. Only MAPIX remains in my portfolio and Asia no longer feels like the go-go region it was 25 years ago. Seafarer and Grandeur Peak got my Matthews dough.
  • Asia may be the future, just not likely in my life time.

My EM fund is SFGIX which tends to over weight Asia. Also bought into MAINX last month in hopes it does better than domestic bonds during increasing interest rates.
  • edited March 2017
    BenWP said:

Have to say I'm like @AndyJ. Only MAPIX remains in my portfolio and Asia no longer feels like the go-go region it was 25 years ago. Seafarer and Grandeur Peak got my Matthews dough.

Similarly, I swapped MACSX for Seafarer...and also found a place for 2 GP funds. I do still have MAPTX, as it was my first experience with Matthews and still serves a unique purpose and accounts for itself very well. I am contemplating MINDX also, for an area I think will shine over the next 20 years purely due to demographics, and Matthews is where I would turn for that expertise.

• I'm going to be patient. MAPIX and MACSX have been doing well lately. I'm going to look at an exit point, swap with MAVRX. Then buy MAPIX, MACSX in taxable account.