Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How To Invest In Water:

FYI: (Click On Article Title At Top Of Google Search)
Analysts and money managers see a wave of water-related investments ahead. But there isn’t a single dominant company to bet on.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.google.com/#q=how+to+invest+in+water+5+picks+Barron's&*

Comments

• Reminded me once again of Pictet Global Water fund. An idea before its time and also started in a bear market which eventually killed it. Who knows, maybe they will reboot it again...
  • The article mentions two global water funds, PHO and CGW, but fails to mention FIW, which has clocked the former two ETFs. It is not a global fund, but I don't think you need such a fund to profit from world-wide water needs. Domestic companies in the sector should be positively affected by world-wide need. The stocks mentioned by Mr. Tan have done fine recently, but Itron (ITRN) has a more sobering long-term record. I also have GLFOX, Global Infrastructure, which holds some foreign companies related to the water theme.

I wish I been the person who realized bottled water would become a commodity. When I was young the only people a thing who drank such a thing were Existentialists in cafés.
  • Isn't it funny? You thought an entire industry couldn't possibly convince you tap water is not safe enough. Or convinced you spring water tastes better. Now, on the one hand you have a flint-like situation. On the other, just because you buy water in a bottle, you simply believe it is safer than tap water or even filtered water.

I think it was Dasani who got sued (or someone else, don't recall exactly) because a picture on the label suggested it was spring water when it was just regular purified water.

Now we also have a "flavored" water. And I'm darn sure the "flavors" are artificial. And it costs more. We live in an interesting world.
  • Right on, Vintage! The soft drink companies saw a future of lower sales, so they quickly branched out to "safer" and "cleaner" water. As with most things, it's all about money. On the other hand, there are some who believe the next world crisis (do we really need another crisis?) could be over clean, potable water. PHO (ticker, not Vietnamese food) is an option for those who want to dabble with the latter idea in mind. Socially-minded Calvert has a decent offering in CFWYX.
  • edited March 2017
    @BobC. Yikes. Interesting the marketing folks kept the "Global Water" moniker, just like Pictet. I guess easy to market to someone in the US who thinks, "What an idiotic idea! There are no water issues in the US". With "Global" one thinks "These companies can really make a lot of money selling water in sub saharan africa".

Like I've said before, circumstances in my life have unfortunately turned me into an unapologetic COB (that's Cynical Old Bast***, for those who are acroynm challenged, copyright pending). I seriously doubt there is much to laud about the socially responsible-ness of either Calvert or the holdings in the fund. If any company is actually doing god's work with water AND trying to make money, then like you've already indicated, it is about marketing first and not well being of citizens.

The money in water is in treating it like a "consumer product" first. God forbid, it is ever treated like a commodity. "water shortage" vs "oil shortage". One of them is worse.